Troop Event or Family Event?

Like Gonzo, I once brought my six-year-old on a trip (my son, in my case). Our troop has a policy that specifically allows it, given that the parent takes full responsibility for the sibling. This one trip is the only time it's ever been done. The Scouts all loved him - they offered him food, gave him little tasks to complete, and generally treated him like the troop mascot. At the end of the weekend, when we handed out an honor camper award, the Scouts also made up a special "Rookie of the Year" award for him.

We do have a ski trip where some families come, but they typically ski on their own, while the boys are all part of the troop structure. I agree with the rest - make it clear what the rules are for any given trip. If it's a family thing and boys are responsible to their families, that could be a good once-a-year activity. The rest of the time, any adults are part of the troop leadership and are expected to act in that role and not the role of parent. Often this will require taking the parents aside and explaining your expectations, and then reinforcing them through the way you interact with the troop.

Oak Tree

ASM915,

Princess can become a Venturer is she wants to, I think she'd like it.

Lisa, Oaktree, et al,

I checked with the SM before comitting to go. The other ASM on the last trip came along, but his son did not. If there had been other adults on the trip, I would have sent the son, and visited the camp-o-ree and scout-o-rama.

I have had to bring my daughter to a couple of troop campouts with our previous troop when I was the only second adult available and my ex had work issues she had a blast camping with the boys loved the campfires. Previously she had gone to some cub family camps as well. Thank God our new troop has plenty of leadership as my son has gotten to that age when he prefers dad not be along.

GWD and Lisa, thanks for the info. I don't see a problem personally with an extra "mascot". It is much better than cancelling an outing-don't let those boys down. It's not their fault one Dad is being a Dad to ALL his children (or Mom/her)-they should not be punished when no one else will step up! But what Chip has described with the hordes of cousins, aunts, and the papergirl too is just plain wrong.