I have a scout (2nd year)that must go to his fathers for visitation in the summer, therefore he is unable to attend summer camp with his troop.

Dad lives in Wyoming- should we try to locate a troop near dad's location for him to tag along with or see if there is a camp nearby he can attend on his own?

At this point he will not be able to attend with the troop locally. We have thought about checking out camps in the Wyoming area for the troop next year!

What options are available and how have you resolved these type of situations?

Years ago, my son's troop had a boy from Puerto Rico go to camp with them several times, when he was staying with an uncle each summer.

For three years, my oldest son had a conflict with the troop's summer camp, an academic summer program and football practice, so he went to the local camp provisional (his troop went to different camps). It was an OK experience, but I think it would be best for him to develop a relationship with the troop in the area - if he's a 2nd year scout, he has a lot of years of summer camp ahead of him.

I think this is something the Scout & his dad should work out together. Dad might already have the summer planned out. You could tell the Scout where to get info on the local Council & Troops (Scout Zone). If the Scout & his dad are interested, the dad should contact his local Council ASAP to find out what his son's options are.

Agreed that the dad needs to be "on board" with whatever plans are made and that if he can connect w/ a local troop it might work best for the long term.

That said, most scout camps have provisional scout programs for scouts who are attending without their troop (some have scheduling issues with their home troop's summer camp plans, some just want to get an extra week of camp). All the provo scouts are put together to make a "camp troop" for the week. The Provo Scoutmasters are often camp staffers or local adult Scouter volunteers. My son did this in his first summer of boy scouts (when he had a scheduling conflict w/ his troop's summer camp plans) and he enjoyed it. I'm sure the quality of the program differs from one camp to another so I'd ask some questions about how the camp in question runs their program before signing up, but at least it is an option.