BSA Leaders covered under insurance – Where does it say so?

My son has been shooting pistols with a new crew that just started.

A question arose from a new leader of this crew about being covered with BSA liability insurance.

He wanted to know where it said that as a registered BSA leader he was covered by this insurance.

His main concern was that allowing 14 to 20 year olds to fire pistols in NYS has only been permited when a new law was passed in Aug. 2006 and this is totally new to most pistol shooters and pistol instructors.

I didnt know for sure where this is stated so I did a search though the BSA material I had and on-line but the only place I see this is in the Annual charter agreement under

The council agrees to:

Provide primary general liability insurance to cover the chartered organization, its board, officers, chartered organization representative, employees and volunteers currently registered with Boy Scouts of America.

I thought this was on the adult Application but I dont see it listed.

Does it say this anywhere else?

Nah, that's the spot, CNY. BSA is fairly coy about insurance.

A number of councils provide more detailed information, but typically this goes to CO's and not to registered leaders, so it's up to the CO to keep their volunteers informed. And of course, many larger CO's also provide coverage.

Another option for you if you're doing shooting sports is to ask your council for an insurance certificate to present to whomever you're working with. Your council can also have another organization (local gun club, for example, or individual NRA instructor who is not BSA registered) listed as a named additional insured on the BSA policy, within certain coverage limits. They can provide you with documentation of this. Both are routine council services which are provided at no charge to help "open doors" to facilities and programs for units.

Beavah

This is just another example of where the CO has no real idea of what is going on, how the Scouting program works and were told the only responsibility it had was to supply a place to meet.

When my DE sold the Ships CO (and this shooting crews CO) on the Scouting program he used as the big advantage for a Scout unit was the BSA liability insurance and the supplemental liability insurance our council provides.

It took a phone call from me and 2 calls from the head of the Ships CO to get a copy of the charter agreement and insurance information from our council

If a council is going to use the liability insurance as a selling point to a CO the information needs to be readily available.

I am not a leader in this crew but I know this organization has a good record as I shot rifles there when I was in Scouts but this is the first time they have chartered a unit.

The other thing with this crew is that its leaders are not training in Scouting or Venturing.

They are all very knowledgeable and are NRA trained and certified in rifles and pistols but none have gone to any Scout training and I have heard a couple of them tell the CC they wont go.

After being involved with the Ships CO and their concern about liability and insurance coverage I am confident that as a registered BSA Leader I will be covered if I am doing approved BSA activities and following safety procedures.

This one leader acts like the BSA has no experience with shooting sports.

I have to think that the BSA understands the risks involved with shooting sports as I see that shooting has been around ever since the introduction of the Marksmanship MB in 1911.

CNY, I wasn't sure from your post. Did you get what you needed or do you need pointin' to another resource? Let me know.

This one leader acts like the BSA has no experience with shooting sports.

I have to think that the BSA understands the risks involved with shooting sports as I see that shooting has been around ever since the introduction of the Marksmanship MB in 1911.

Yah, I think we have to be a bit humble and recognize the experience of others. He's right, yeh know. I expect that shooting sports clubs full of NRA instructors really do have a lot more experience with shooting sports than the BSA. Just like ACA instructors know more about paddlesports, SOLO knows more about wilderness medicine, competent climbing clubs and outfitters have a lot more experience with climbin', etc. It's OK to acknowledge that and use it as a resource, eh? In fact, that's what Venturing training and Powderhorn tell us to do!

Where the BSA has real expertise is in helping CO's and clubs like the shooting sports club put together an effective, long-term youth program that builds future members, draws in adult and parent members, and strengthens both the organization and the community. Running a range or a rifle contest is only one aspect of runnin' a successful youth program. And most shooting clubs and other organizations don't have anywhere near the BSA's experience with running adventure learning programs of all kinds. Lots of times when they try to put together a youth program, it's very short-lived and very small.

That's why the partnership. Sure, teach us about shootin' sports, we acknowledge your expertise. Now let us teach you about youth programs.

Beavah

I didnt get what I was looking for but it doesnt look like it exists.

The G2SS implies that a registered leader is covered but doesnt come out and say so. (which is what I was looking for)

Dont get me wrong I think this shooting club is doing a good job with teaching shooting.

They understand the safety needed around firearms and do a good job teaching the Scouts this also.

They just dont seem interested in Scouting only the insurance it brings.

A lot of the attitude I see from them is the lack of knowledge of Scouting program.

Where the BSA has real expertise is in helping CO's and clubs like the shooting sports club put together an effective, long-term youth program that builds future members, draws in adult and parent members, and strengthens both the organization and the community.

I wish my DE used this as a "pitch" of the BSA program instead of the insurance the BSA can bring to a CO.

I think if this was used we might see better performing units and COs that take a real interest instead of just supplying a place to meet and getting a good deal on insurance.

Running a range or a rifle contest is only one aspect of runnin' a successful youth program. And most shooting clubs and other organizations don't have anywhere near the BSA's experience with running adventure learning programs of all kinds. Lots of times when they try to put together a youth program, it's very short-lived and very small.

The last time this crew met there was concerns about the dwindling attendance.

I have seen the CC trying to get some of the leaders to attend training but they are just not interested.

So, I can see what you are saying happening to this group.

That's why the partnership. Sure, teach us about shootin' sports, we acknowledge your expertise. Now let us teach you about youth programs.

I like this attitude.

I never heard it put quite this way.

I think this is a great reason to use for adults to take BSA training.

I plan on using it.