Son beaming from compliment

My son (hs junior, Life Scout) came home from play practice beaming. He's one of the hardest-working kids in the cast and crew, and the director asked him, "Matt, are you an Eagle Scout?" He said, "Not yet, but I'm working on it. Why?" She told him that he was always there on time, always prepared, always ready to help with whatever needed to be done. She said that he reminds her of a young man who graduated from our high school two years ago, who was also active in theater and is an Eagle Scout from my son's troop.

This is a boy my son has looked up to since he was a Tenderfoot--to be compared to him really made his day!

Elizabeth J

That's great! It works wonders for our kids to receive this sort of compliment from somebody who isn't a direct relative. Kudos to your son.

Can I add one too? My son has been struggling through his first stint as a patrol leader with some ups and a lot of downs, mainly due to him being young (12) and inexperienced. He has his doubts about his leadership abilities and as "mom" it seems that nothing much I say is going to penetrate his thick head. The troop has a court of honor coming up in a few weeks so there has also been a lot of talk about advancement lately and my son is pretty close to earning his next rank. But at last night's meeting he decided it was more important that his patrol would work with a couple of boys who have not yet finished their tenderfoot requirements in order to help get them up to speed, rather than to focus on his own remaining sign offs. He organized some scouts to teach knots, he taught whipping and fusing, and he got another scout to work with these boys on safe hiking principles. He made sure these boys were taught proper flag etiquette and included in the flag raising/lowering ceremonies so they could demonstrate their skill. Together, the patrol was able to teach these boys the remaining skills they needed in order to go for their SM conference and tenderfoot BOR in a week or two. Afterward one of the boys was overheard enthusiastically telling his parents how my son had helped him and one of the ASMs approached my son and told him that this was an example of leadership for the whole troop. My son was beaming too.