Two Eagle Scouts find missing hiker

I put myself in the position of the two hikers and tried to figure out what I would have done differently.

Splitting up would have been the wrong choice. First rule in rescue work is not to put yourself into a position to be rescued. Splitting up puts both in more danger. She had already spent 5 weeks alone, give her food and water, go get help. Staying with her would only provide companionship and emotional support.

So the only other choice is for both to stay with the victim until she can join you. Unlikely considering her condition and their meager supplies (being at the end of their trek).

Those men chose wisely.

I wondered about the decision to leave the woman myself. I'm sure this was a difficult decision by the two men and not one that came easily or without significant thought. But I would have to defer to two experienced outdoorsmen who were on the ground and had first hand knowledge of the woman's condition. When all was said and done, it appears they came to the conclusion that the best chance for the woman's rescue was to stay together and ensure they got out together to notify others who could transport her safely.

The two men safely got out to notify others who could properly effect rescue. Seems like it was a good decision to me.

SA