What is a Program Adaptation ?

I like to think Scouter's are nice people.

We do what we do because we like kids and want to grow and do well.Just about all of us will go out of our way to do what we can to help a Scout.

Staying with the "Pull Ups" that were mentioned in the other thread.

I read "Show improvement" as just that.

The Scout should do a little better or a lot better than he did 30 days ago.

I don't see where it says go from 2 to 3. He just has to do better than he did a month ago.

This to my mind is not a tweak or any sort of an adaptation.

We have a Troop in the District that automatically gives Scouts who were Webelos Scouts their Tenderfoot Rank.

This to my way of thinking is not helping the Scouts, it doesn't help them grow or do any better. In fact it seems to send the wrong message from the very start.

Another Troop has set the number of pull ups needed. (I can't remember the number.)

This is also not the way I see it should be done.

Some things seem very clear to me? If the requirement states demonstrate and tie six knots. The number of knots isn't 4 it's 6.

There is a judgment call as to when the Scout ties the knots. Do you sign him off the on the night that you have spend many happy hours working with him? Or do you wait a while and then see if he remembers how to tie the knots?

I'll admit I'm for waiting a week, but I am also very forgiving. I'll do everything I can to help him get it right even if he needs to have several attempts at each knot.

The 20 night requirement for the Camping MB is questioned a lot. "What is camping? I don't see any real rush. A Scout will spend 20 nights in a tent long before he reaches the age of 18.Many Scouts will have the 20 nights in within a couple of years.

A few years back a new SM called me unsure what to do. He had a Scout who was working on the cooking requirements for First Class. It seems that the Scout did a great job of cooking but when it came to lunch he forgot to lead the patrol in saying grace.He did so at breakfast and dinner.

My advise was for him to talk with the Scout and tell him that as a rule we do say grace before every meal and at the next camp out have him make up the requirement.

Again not following the letter of the requirement, but doing what was best for the Scout.

Some units have a moment of silent prayer before meals. Is this "Saying grace"?

I don't see this as adapting the program.

Where as the unit that decides that they are never going to say grace is adapting the program.

As we try to serve the Scouts in the program we at times do have to do what is best for the Scout.

As a parent I have seen OJ come home with a ton of math homework. He has at times moaned and groaned that he can't do it and doesn't understand it.

I could very easily have him sit down and write the answers that I come up with (Who knows I might even get them right!!)

I could leave him alone and let him struggle, becoming more and more frustrated.

Or I can step in and go over one or two of the questions with him explaining how to do it.

Of course the hard and fast truth is that he really hasn't done all his homework, I have helped him.

But isn't trying to help him grasp and understand the reason for the homework? Sure the grade is important. But if that was the only important thing I could do all of his homework. Sure him getting it all wrong might send a message to the teacher that he or she isn't doing that great a job of teaching?

But in my eyes I'm doing what is best, but not abusing the system.

Eamonn.

But in my eyes I'm doing what is best, but not abusing the system.

Yah, monn. I'd support you, eh? :) But then, someone else may come along and say that you weren't followin' the program, were givin' your kid an advantage over other kids, were a dishonest and untrustworthy lout and all that.

The problem is that one person's reasonable adaptation can be another person's slippery slope violation. Depends on what the goal is, eh? If the goal is for the kid to learn math, I'd go your way. If the goal is to maintain the integrity of the grading/feedback system, you're a cheat. ;)

Here's one. Up here in da upper midwest in winter, it sure is possible on rural roads in snow to get both lost and stuck. Ain't much traffic, or much cell phone coverage. Yah, you can be stuck fer a pretty long time. Caravaning or "keepin' together with reasonable rules" is safer, eh? After yeh get off the highway and into the remote parts. Less chance of gettin' lost, immediate help if yeh need it.

Is the goal safety? Or is the goal Obedience in followin' the G2SS regulations? One person's reasonable adaptation can be another's Oathbreakin'. :(