Any really terrific holiday service projects?

For an article I'm writing for American Profile on the 100th anniversary of Scouting, I need to find a troop that's doing a service project that's really beneficial to the community, one that will make for good action photos (providing holiday meals to the homeless? wrapping packages for needy kids?), and to meet my editor's deadlines, one that's happening fairly soon.

If you can help, PM me through the forum or send me an email at elizabethwriter@gmail.com

Thanks.

YIS

Elizabeth Johnson

Troop 111, Lansing, MI

Pack 9, Lansing, MI

How about this........

http://www.hbscomputers.com/scoutgiftwrapping2006/

Just coordinated wrapping approx 800 + presents for approximately 800 special needs (mentally and physically challenged) individuals. We are hosting a Christmas party tommorrow with music and dancing and lunch. Most of these folks do not have any family and live in group homes. Just one of the many things our Council participates in. Cost is in excess of $20,000 and is paid for by a local mens organization that enriches the lives of those that are mentally and physically disabled.

If you'd like more details, just let me know.

(This message has been edited by GNX Guy)

My troop joins with a number of other interested people helping to sort toys contributed to the Toys for Tots campaign. Locally it's sponsored by the Marine Corps Reserves unit.

We spend a day unloading truckloads (as in 40-foot trailers) stuffed with bags and bags of toys, then sort them by age/gender, then pick items to fulfill requests made to them by various community-based social service agencies. For example, one agency might need 15 toys for boys aged 4-5 and 22 toys for girls aged 11-13.

It's a fast-paced operation. I can't imagine how many tons of toys are handled. No wrapping - just bagging. And we have fun doing it. We'll be doing it this Saturday, 12/16. If you want pix, PM me and I'll take some.

These are both terrific. I just let my editor know about both of them, and now he's saying that since the story is coming out in July, he DOESN'T want something that's too Christmasy. I may mention your events as examples of the many kinds of service projects that Scouts help with.

So . . . instead, if your troop does something in the late winter or early spring (maybe a March "Scouting for Food" drive that's really big, or a safety/first aid/health fair in the community or something) let me know and we'll arrange for a photographer from the publication to come to the event.

Thanks. Elizabeth