A Scout's other duties

A thread is running right now about a Scout showing evidence of doing his Duty to God when applying for Eagle.

So many threads and posts on this and other forums about reverence and duty to God, I have always wondered if anyone places as much emphasis on a Scout's Duty to Country, or, for that matter, the other 11 points of the Scout Law.

Does anyone ever ask a Scout how he's done his duty to his country? What would be the criteria for a teenager to do his duty? What about helping other people at all times? What evidence must a Scout produce to prove he's physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight?

Does anyone cover as thoroughly whether a Scout is Trustworthy or Loyal, Helpful or Friendly, etc., as it seems the Reverent issue is covered?

The other points of the scout law and oath are covered in our boards. One question that we ask of boys up for Eagle that are over 18 is have you registered to vote yet? We also have asked if they follow the law of the land... do they follow it absolutely.... have they ever gone over the speed limit??? Most of them will blush about then...**smile**...

One of my favorite questions for the younger ranks is what is the hardest and easiest law for them to follow. Or, if they could take away what law what would it be and why... these are all ways to cover the laws.

Asking how they keep themselves mentally awake and what does that mean will bring up the oath.... lots of ways. And you don't have to wait for a BOR to ask these questions.

It would be nice to know what the intent of "Duty to Country" really is.

If your a kid, you cant vote, you can pay some taxes, but other than that what can they really do? I would argue that staying current in school (setting yourself up to be independent later in life, thus voting & paying taxes), not being a crimminal, and learning about how this country is "supposed" to function from a constitution standpoint is about all they can really do.

When you read through some of the older scout handbooks, it points out that scouts (as kids) cant really participate in government, but they have a duty to point out things they see that are wrong to their parents and fellow adult scout leaders to try and bring about discussion for change.

I think the example in my old scout hanbook shows scouts recognizing a lake area that was full of trash, and then showed the scouts organizing a clean up day for the lake.

Of course we teach scouts not to leave anything other than footprints so one could argue that by being in scouts and learning these principles they are in fact being "good citizens" and are not creating a mess for others to clean up

gwd...,

Good questions. I think the reason "Duty to God" or the 12th point of the Scout Law, "reverent" gets so much play on these forums is because they are simply controversial. These topics push the buttons that set of the "Politically Correct" and "your intolerant" alarms.

Now, having said that, I'll answer your other questions. Yes, the other points of the Law and Duty are covered regularly in meetings and Scoutmaster Conferences. It is very important for the boys to understand their duty to their country and how to apply the other points of the Scout Law to their lives. Yes, much of their duty to country will come later in life, but we can help set the foundation for patriotism and their sense of responsibility to their country.

(gets up on his soapbox...)

For me, if one it trying his best in the area of Duty to God and being reverent, all the other points of the Law and Oath fall right into place. This is true of those who understand reverence and duty to God as I do and as I believe it is taught in Scripture. One following God leads to one being; trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, and clean. I regularly share this with Scouts as a part of the program and in SM conferences. In fact, once a year, our Chaplain Aid turns over his Sunday devotion to me to give a talk about the Scout Law in the Bible. Yes, parents are aware of this and have absolutely no problem with our sharing this with our Scouts. In fact, many parents who don't regularly go to Church have either asked or accepted invitations for their boys to attend our Church's Youth Group meetings, where I have the privilege of being the Small Group leader for these same boys. (gets down from soapbox...)

ASM59

(I posted this in the other thread before I realized that gwd had started this one. Sorry for the duplicate.)

In my SM conferences for Star, Life and Eagle, I like to ask the candidate how he fulfills his duty to God and then, separately, how he fulfills his duty to his country. I have always accepted just about any response for duty to God, because this varies so tremendously between faiths and from family to family. Some fellows regularly attend religious ceremonies, others don't. Some pray, some meditate, some do good works.

But sometimes a candidate gets stumped when I ask him about his duty to his country. Often fellows will start to talk about serving in the military or voting or sitting on juries and such. I'll then ask them if THEY have done any of those things as part of THEIR duty. This prompts them to think about what it is that they actually do that is part of their duty to their country. Most fellows will recognize that obeying the law is something they do, even stuff like not smoking and not jaywalking. And then I try to guide them to think about their duty to PREPARE themselves, now, while they are still teenagers, to be responsible citizens later when they become adults. Ah-hah! It turns out that going to school and LEARNING about his country, its history and form of government are key elements of a teenagers duty to his country. Who is his Congressman? His Senators? Who is the Chief Justice? Usually a candidate for Star does not know these things. However, I find that by the time he comes back for a SM conference for Life and Eagle, he'll know a lot more.