Scoutmaster Ron said, "most important they need to be trained."

Yep that's very important but ASM59 indicated that outside of himself and one other leader, there is a lack of commitment among the adults. He didn't say there was a training issue. However, I think we'd all agree that if commitment is a problem, a lack of training is usually a problem too.

Right you are Mark.

I can attest to that - actually had 3 parents go to training this past weekend while the boys were doing their camp. I was hoping they would come back to camp Sat evening all gung ho or at least a little more enthused about helping the troop but alas it was not to be.

The arrowman assigned to our troop was great and helped one patrol with their cooking. I had helped the other patrol with breakfast and lunch. I mentioned to the group of three newly trained if one of them would help the second patrolat dinner. And I am not talking doing it for them, just giving a little guidance and encouragement. But all three decided they would rather play trivia and did so.

I removed my self form that circle and went and sat by where the patrol was cooking just to keep an eye on them. (Remember these guys aren't even tenderfoot yet)

It seems that many of these adults don't get it ( or is it me)

I don't think you do the work for the boys but at this stage they still need some guidance and I enjoy just working with the boys, talking with them and listening to them talk amongst themselves.(I've had most of these boys since tiger cubs and seeing their growth is making my getting older worthwhile)

I guess the other parents in our troop don't and that's the diffrence.

Have you decided anything 59?

YIS

cc(This message has been edited by campcrafter)

First the committee dies and then the troop dies.

Where is the Committee Chair in this situation? (as Eamonn referenced in his post)

There is in-fighting on the committee, the CC needs to deal with it.

The Scoutmaster calls to say he cant come to a meeting at the last minute. He calls the CC and the CC deals with it.

The Scoutmaster doesnt take the lead on helping with campout preparations and staffing, the CC deals with it.

Not enough drivers for a campout, the CC deals with it with the aid of the Outdoor/Activities Coordinator (or some troops have a Transportation Coordinator).

After the CC gets tired of "dealing with it" he/she will get the wheels turning on recruiting a new Scoutmaster.

Is your Committee Chair related to your Scoutmaster, by marriage or blood? If the answer is yes then they both need to be replaced (this really is the responsibility of your COR) or you might as well find a new troop or start another troop. Start checking out other troops before you announce your resignation from the current troop. The news will filter out and you may see some change, or you may not.

Its about the boys, but sometimes the adults can really mess it up.

In answer to a couple questions:

About the CC:

She is a part of the in-fighting. She will admit that she has a "control problem" and most committee members feel that problem. She is not related to the SM but is wife of one of the ASM's

Commitment Level / Training:

Yes, there is a lack of commitment, and therefore there is no desire to take "my personal time" to get the training. There is only one Committee person who has a real desire to see that the Troop keeps going. She is the Outing/Transportation coordinator. If it were not for her help, I would not have been able to pull off some of the outings that we did earlier this year. There is also another ASM who would like to be more involved and who would even go get training, but his wife gives him a hard time about spending so much time with Scouting. So, based on trouble at home, I don't picture him taking the time to get trained.

About the COR:

She has know about the problems on the committee for about two years now. I notified her about the lack of commitment from anyone and the lack of help about one year ago. Nothing has been done to try to help from the COR's side.

Where am I?

Ready to find another Troop.

ASM59