Selecting a Committe Chair

The person who had agreed to be the ships CC is still MIA.

I though I had made a good choice for a CC.

I was in a Cub Pack with him and we worked well together but I have yet to see him or his daughter at a ships meeting.

It looks like we'll have to look for a new CC.

The Ships CO and COR have no Scouting experiance and will be looking to me to help find someone

So, what do you look for in a Committe Chair?

Would you look for different qualities if it were a Pack, Trrop or Crew/Ship?

CNYScouter,

Besides the BSA's prescribed recruiting procedures, usually we look for the following qualities in a CC and I do believe that the same exist in any type of unit (other may object to the list, but this is what we were looking for when we had to find a replacement for our CC):

1) Someone who subscribes to the BSA ideals, namely participating with his/her son in many troop/pack/crew's activities and is willing to take and provide all the training necessary to provide the unit with support effeciently.

1.a) Someone who is willing to allow the scoutmasters and the junior leaders to run the troop as it best fits.

2) Someone who is organized, keeping a unit going requires a lot of organization! (from budget to logistics).

3) Someone who is outgoing and can interface with other adults of similar or different interests. He/she will need to communicate and convince parents to volunteer, donate, work, help, etc.

4) Someone who is a strong natural leader (experience is not required). To command an army of volunteers takes a strong leader who can get even the most reluctant parent to help. He/she has to be a strong leader without being obnoxious.

5) Someone who is caring and trusting.

6) Someone who is resourceful, finding ways and resources to accomodate the scouts chosen activity in addition to recruit the correct people for the right job.

7) Someone who is willing to devote the necessary time to do the job right!

8) Someone who is willing to just take on the position.

Just to name a few. If you can find someone like this, clone him/her and send us a copy. We'll pay for the shipping! Sometimes, the best that we could settle for is #8 and hope for the best.

Cheers,

1Hour

ps: We are fortunate to have found a gentleman who has 6 out of the 8 qualities(This message has been edited by OneHour)