So now, how do we present?

I want to reference the recent departure of Kahuna and some of the things that were stated about how people present. I will attempt this by using summarization and analysis of each statement, all of which I thought to be insightful. I didn't quote directly and I am sure that meanings, both large and small were missed, so forgiveness is requested and of course, responses and additions are welcome.

Rulesmongering reminded me how much nicer Scouting used to be and isn't now, so I am leaving the Forum-Kahuna

Title: The value and the method of making Reasonable Arguments/Disagreements in an electronic medium or in a large group:

More frequently we process verbal communication but when we read we lack most of the cues that we normally expect. So, reading anothers words may reduce understanding and create problems, such as, running people off from the Forum.-purcelce Most of what is discussed in this Forum are rare negative topics with little ensuing consensus; this is true even if the topic happens to be a daily issue. It is much easier to solve these kinds of things in a small group setting in the Scouters own unit or District.-Oak Tree

The problems of how we relate in this Forum are vexing; creating a desire to escape but there is a push-pull effect that increases the attraction. Underlying this is the thought that a good argument will effect a positive change but it seldom does. Knowing these things, then we must assume that it is like an addiction and help will be needed to change it.-campcrafter

When writing, do so only after reviewing the Scout Law and then present your views clearly, politely and with conviction. Use common sense when giving advice, rather than immediately quoting the BSA policy, or suggesting the use of the Commissioner Corps.-KC9DDI When an individual asks for advice, dont tell them to merely follow the rules.-Oak Tree In written form rule enforcing appears to be closer to bullying than trying to share information.-Double Eagle

Pontificating ones position is viewed as being rude, arrogant and "greater-than-thou". Disagreement, constructive criticism, and unique perspectives, helps to recognize faults and leads to improvement.-KC9DDI So, there is value in the many constructive disagreements of this Forum.-Oak Tree

Increasing ones reason in this medium is related to amount of ones involvement or time allotted.-Kudu Taking a vacation/break allows one to share wisdom rather than the opposite.-Trevorum Read without replying or pick a few topics to reply to and then only after thoughtful consideration.-Double Eagle If we do leave, then we should remember that all of the good we have done in Scouting remains.-t158sm

The Council Commissioners (Leaders) role is not one of enforcement but to advise when asked. Little is to be advanced when a relationship has not acquired a level of trust that allows one to do so.-Kahuna In your own unit or District, enforce rules when there is a safety violation; that is acceptable. Other rules can be dismissed during a private conversation which reduces the accompanying emotion. But, giving advice in the Forum should be tempered with more kindness than information and that is the real key to success.-purcelce Remember, many are sincere in their desire to help and be friends and they want to be appropriate and are willing to forgive and ask forgiveness.-campcrafter

How should we act when we know that we will not be heard? We take the little that we have and slowly make our way along listening for God in spite of the silence. Aquila calva When you do hear Gods words and accept Gods love then quickly give it away to everyone. It is only with this kind of care that we will harvest the fruits of friendship. Sister Helen Prejean, CSJ

Thanks to everyone for your words that have added to my own understanding about a difficult topic. FB