Model Rocket Multi Launch Pad Plans?

I'm hoping some one can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for plans to build a muliple rocket launch pad for Estes' rockets. I pretty much can work out the platform I desire, but what I really need help with is the wiring, and the power needed, so that all lift off at the same time. Ideally, four or more at once. I've search the web, but no luck. Thanks.

Vince.

At one time, you could purchase a multi-launcher from Estes. They were for school clubs and large groups. We have 70 boys and 100 rockets to launch. It would make it much easier. Using a single multipad pad launcher, with only one ignition switch for it, would in my opinion be safer than several people operating their own launch in the same area. It would give greater control over the event. I have seen them used many years ago, and they were fantastic. The boys loved seeing several rockets launched within a second or two.

we have done it with 3 launches, all independently controlled. The thing I wouldn't like about a multiple launcher is what happens if your working on a rocket and someone activates the launcher by mistake. Your in a world of hurt then.

we have done it with 3 launches, all independently controlled. The thing I wouldn't like about a multiple launcher is what happens if your working on a rocket and someone activates the launcher by mistake. Your in a world of hurt then.

• 3 weeks later...

nldscout - 2 words "Safety Key". Every safe launch system contains one, regardless of it is designed for a single or multi launch pad. If the key is in my pocket while working on a rocket, I know that the system will not fire. If the key is not in my pocket, nobody is within 15 feet of the launch pad. Simple, Safe, and consistent with the NAR safety code - it is like a scout rifle range, only one person is in charge, everybody knows the rules and follows them, or the event does not happen.

VinceC - I would suggest checking out www.nar.org. Look for a local rocketry club in your area. Somebody in the local club will be more than willing to help you out with your plans. Multi-launch systems are not difficult to build, but finding plans online are. The club sees any "new blood" that gets interested in their hobby as a good thing, and I know the club in my area is always willing to help the scout groups.

Estes does have some documents on their web site that covers the electrical basics of designing a system, but does not provide any plans. They are also no help in getting questions answered. When I contacted them to ask how much I could extend the leads on their standard launch controller before the resistance would be too great to launch a rocket, their answer was "we cannot suggest modifying the standard system". I guess I can understand the "we don't want to get sued" mentality...

Check out a local club, they will help you out with the launch controller, and probably give you some good advice about when and where to do your launch (local laws can be tricky, and the clubs should know about most of them).

Kurt