Troop Leadership Training

I'm a first-year ASM (my son crossed in March a year ago). Each of the "new-Scout" dads is expected to find an area where he can help contribute to the Troop, and I volunteered to help with youth training. Basically, my predecessor handed me a box of JLT binders and some Powerpoint files (the JLT video is missing but we think we know where it is).

Anyway, I had heard about TLT replacing JLT, so I used some Troop funds to buy a copy, and was amazed at how "light" it is, compared to the old JLT. Now, I've never taught either one, so I have no pre-conceived notions as to which is better. There's a new syllabus, I'm assigned the training duties, so I decided to go with the new course -- a clean break from both the old instructor and the old course.

Well, I must say, I'm not exactly sure what I've gotten myself into. As I read the TLT syllabus, there is theoretically much interaction, coaching, visioning and joint-goal-setting between the SPL and SM, with the intent that the SPL would train his PLs by conducting the three modules of TLT himself.

I guess I'm not sure where an ASM-trainer fits into this picture. Since I'm training the new PLC tomorrow morning (we had troop elections last Monday), I've had to make a few adjustments to the syllabus, which I know is a "no-no" per BSA training policy.

But since I'm obviously not the SM, I can hardly sit down and do joint visioning & goal-setting with the SPL (for example). But since the SM will be in attendance, I intend to ask them to do separate vision statements, then compare and reconcile them.

Next, since the SM did not train the new SPL in advance of TLT, I will be training the SPL and PLs all at the same time (as well as all other appointed positions). I know this isn't optimal, but this is the assignment I was given.

Do any other Troops do their TLT training this way? I.e., led by an ASM and done in one big session, rather than SM training the SPL first, then SPL training the other boys, etc.?

Major adjustments to a training syllabus is sort-of a no-no, but this new training leaves too much to the imagination. I need more than 3 sentences about "E.D.G.E." to be able to teach it to new boy leaders. Blending the old Scoutmaster's Jr. Leader Training Kit with the new Troop Leadership Training seems like a good approach until revision "A" is released.

I never taught JLT, so I didn't feel a need to integrate any portions of it into the new course. The next time we run the course, it will be led by the SPL. He's been through JLT and TLT, so at that time, it will be his decision as to whether or not we incorporate any of the elements of JLT into TLT.

Personally, I don't care for the idea of mixing elements of old and new syllabi. BSA saw fit to rewrite the course (whatever those reasons were). Mixing old with the new kinda defeats the purpose of rolling out a new course.

I can see how those who taught JLT may be more comfortable with it; the old is by definition more familar than the new. But since I was new to both, it was easy for me to forego the old course.

But I suspect we'll hear comparisons between old and new for a long time to come. How long has WB21C been out -- five years? And we stil can't get past those comparisons!

This same discussion is going on in about five different forums. I'll share some comments here that I made on the JLT email list, and are pretty much the same as I made on this same topic here a few months back. I would also note that I was not a big fan of the old JLT training, which seemed focused on teambuilding rather than the nuts and bolts of patrol and troop leadership.

I guess I would have to say that I am not particularly impressed with the new Troop Leadership Training program (#34306A)(replacement for Junior Leader Training). Three main things:

(1) Like the Patrol Leader Handbook, TLT is written for older Scouts, not for 12- and 13-year-old patrol leaders. These younger Scouts simply can't sit through discussions of chapters of the Patrol Leader Handbook, discussion of the Scoutmaster's "Vision of Success," a discussion of servant leadership, or a "thinking/writing session." These guys need to be _doing_, not sitting; but this training really doesn't include fun, practical exercises that demonstrate various aspects of leadership.

(2) Like too much of our training, there is far too much lecture/discussion. Too much school, not enough Scouting.

(3) While the titles or themes of the three modules -- "Know," "Be," and "Do" -- seem to indicate three relatively distinct (but related) facets of troop leadership, the actual content of the modules really doesn't break down that way, and they all sort of run together. For example, position descriptions are discussed in both modules one and three; the Scoutmaster shares his vision of success in module two, while the Scouts write their definitions of success in module three. The titles of the modules are confusing: Module Two -- How To _Do_ Your Job [emphasis added], which includes the EDGE 4-step training process (Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable) is subtitled "Be" rather than "Do"; Module Three -- What Is Expected Of Me? -- which includes the discussion of servant leadership, is subtitled "Do" rather than "Be." It would seem to make more sense for module two to have the "Do" designation and module three to have the "Be" designation.

There is some good stuff in TLT (including the tear-off position description cards), and it certainly takes a very different approach than the teambuilding exercises of JLT. However, it seems to be trying to emulate our adult training model, which starts with theory and philosophy and tries to turn them into practical application. Far better, it seems to me, to teach boys by starting with the practical "Whats" and "Hows" of leading a patrol and troop.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA