Service Project - Grow a Row

At our District Roundtable meeting earlier this month, we were given a presentation by a Master Gardener from the Clemson Extension Service.

After his wonderfully informative presentation on how to properly grow a vegetable garden, he told us about a service project called "Grow a Row for the Hungry."

Groups get together and grow a vegetable garden, large or small, many different varieties or only a few, and donate the harvest to their local soup kitchen, church, etc.

Sounds like a wonderful idea for a Scout Troop. Anyone ever done it or something similar?

I tried to do this project with my cub scouts one year. They planted carrots and strawberries in a corner of my yard. Unfortunately, before we could harvest, we got new neighbors who accidentally dumped a huge pile of dirt right on my little garden! They were only trying to level out their yard, but most of the dirt ended up in our yard. The Cub scouts were disappointed, and I guess I lost my motivation to try again the next year.

It is a great idea, and would be an excellent service project for cubs or boy scouts.