District Camping Chairman

How does the OA fall into line with the District Camping Commettee? I understand that the OA would work with the District Camping Chairman / District Camping Commettee. i.e. camporees conducting the OA tapout,working with units conductiong OA elections etc. I can not put my finger on the responsibilities of the OA...I have an old OA manual but nothing seems to point to or how this is set up. I can not collect information re-guarding weather or not District Camping has any pull over OA operating principles. I have been told that the OA is responsible for camp fire program at district camporees,and the District Camping Chariman is over OA responsibilities for conducting these activities.

Got any answers? Where to go for information?

Eagle Foot

The OA Chapter Advisor is an ex officio member of the District Committee under the Camping Committee. The purpose of the OA, among other things, is to promote unit camping and provide service to the Council, District and Units, the nature of which is decided locally. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules...it's whatever you agree to do in a cooperative manner. The things you mentioned are just examples of how the OA can provide "cheerful service". If there is to be a tapout (callout) at the camporee, it seems reasonable that the OA be in charge of the campfire.

From the publication, "Camping Committee Guide" (#33083C),

The Order of the Arrow should be related to the entire enterprise. Their contribution will be to cooperate with the Camping Committee in organizing:

- A "Where To Go Camping" guide for all units

- Work parties to improve camp facilities

- OA members to work with district Scouters to visit units to tell the camping story to youth as adults tell the story to adults

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)