Charter Organization and Duty to God

I know that a church charter organization cannot require its Troop members to also be members of the church, but can it require the Troop to follow its teachings/beliefs (i.e., prayers at meetings, Sunday service during a campout, etc.).

I believe your initial premise is incorrect. The CO "owns" the unit and can select it's members any way they want, as long as the members meet the membership requirements of the BSA. The answer to the rest of your questions, I believe, is "yes". If a member does not agree with a Troop's religious customs, they are free to join other troops.

OK. In reading a charter renewal, first point on CO side says:

Conduct the Scouting program according to its own policies and guidelines as well as those of the Boy Scouts of America.

So, I guess that means a CO can restrict membership in the Troop, even though the BSA cannot restrict membership based on a boy's particular religeon.

Let me restate my question then. How many of you run your Troop in accordance with your CO mission or religeous customs. And, if you do follow CO religeous custom, do you screen new Scouts?

(This message has been edited by gwd-scouter)

In no case where a unit is connected with a church or other distinctively religious organization shall members of other denominations or faith be required, because of their membership in the unit, to take part in or observe a religious ceremony distinctly unique to that organization or church.

- From the BSA Bylaws; see http://www.bsalegal.org/quot;dut-155.htm

Our chartered organization does require that we hold a Sunday morning service whenever we are camping over the weekend. We have two options -either 1) go with a generic service with moral and ethical lessons, or 2) hold a more traditional church service, but make it optional. We have done both on different events. To be honest, I find it a bit awkward either way.

Oak Tree