New Webelos cross over activity

Not to be picky but if they crossed over to the troop, then they are the new scout patrol, or at the very least your newest scouts, not webelos.

Our tradition is to have a new scout campout consisting of one night. The meeting before the campout the new scouts are instructed by the older boys on what to bring on a campout. Only the new scouts come along with a few invited older scouts for leadership. On Saturday morning everyone's gear in gone over in the meeting space at the troop to be sure all the necessities are there. This fulfills a rank requirement. Then they go to a nearby park to select a campsite and set up a tent (the same one they will be sleeping in) They learn how to set up a stove and light it and cook lunch. After lunch a round robin sessions of skills is done, knots, first aid, plant/animal ID and then comes dinner. After dinner clean up a little free time and then the older boys/adults do a campfire. They do "repeat after me songs" "repeat after me songs" such as the scout law, Yell out "A scout is trustworthy", they yell back, then "A scout is trustworthy loyal" then work your way all the way up, they are yelling, having fun and learning the scout law. Then a few skits, fun songs and off to sleep. In the morning a scouts own, breakfast, pack up and home.

I love OGE's one-night new scout patrol campout. What a great way to introduce these guys to the troop, teach some new skills right away, and have a little fun. Wish our troop had done something like this last year when my guy crossed over- and I'll be suggesting it for this year!

Lisa'bob

NS campout is already in the Troop plan for April since some Packs in our area do not cross Webelos over till mid March. We'll receive three others from a Pack that holds it BG in March. The ones coming this month are from our CO's Pack. I orginally thought of the hike as well but have done that for the past couple of years with varying results. I'm looking for something new and innovative but the hike isn't out of the question especially since we have an 1800 acre state wildlife management area in our county close.

Ok, scratch that idea if the new scout campout is scheuled, back to the hike and while they are gaing along, have them pick out wildlife sightings or signs and plants, do the campass part and make it 10 miles so it meets one of the hiking meritbadges or they could meet for a round robin of skills at a park and have a dutch oven dinner