I have been reading some of the exchanges that have been going on in some of the threads.

Sadly I think that are just not nice. But might just be me?

A lot of what is posted here is of no use to me what so ever.

I'm sure a lot of what I post is of no use to you.

I'm not sure if anything I have ever posted has been of any use to anyone.

I have thanks to this forum made a few really good friends and there are people who post in the forum who I really admire and I do value their opinions and take on things.

Of course there is the other side of the coin and there are postings that I just opt to take plenty of no notice of.

Still I do think that just because I don't agree with what has been posted, that it is all wrong. I don't see the need for us to bash each other the head with it.

Having said that I know that at times I have completely failed to understand where the other person is coming from and I know that I'm mule headed enough not to know when to just let go.

I do believe that the BSA has really great material, both in print and on the web. At times it can be hard to find the answer that you need. While we are fortunate to have in these forums people who can point us to the "Book Answer", a lot of what is posted is opinions. We are all free to take what we think will work for us and the Scouts we serve.

But we are also free to think that it's all a load of twaddle.

Yes even if the guy who posted it is named Eamonn.

Eamonn.

Ah, the freedom to choose what we read is a powerful tool.

Do you wonder (well, you probably know) why most of what we read here is opinions? I think that it is because so much of our programs go unregulated. Yes, the books are there, the higher knowledge is there, and the training is there. But who is to say that I have to use any of that? The only thing I really am required to do is have a charter and put a couple of names in some key job titles. After that, I can pretty much do what I want with regards to the running of my unit. I don't have to be trained nor do I have to buy any of the books that provide any answers. That is why many of the responses to problems/questions in here are answered with training or book references.

In certain posts, I have been pretty critical of council and district actions (or lack thereof). While my District shows signs of being stellar and my DE almost bends over backward for me if I ask something of her the fact of the matter is, I go to them for answers. They don't oversee anything I do unless I bring it to their attention.

I am starting to get off track here but the point I am trying to make is that with more oversight and direction from district and council, you would probably see less opinions and twaddle in here. And I don't necessarily buy the "what works for one unit may not work for another" philosophy. It is the same program with the same goals. Doesn't it stand to reason that it should be the same solutions?

E,

I second the emotion. I have always enjoyed scouter.com and still do. However, the tone and attitude of some of our brothers around the campfire is rather confrontational at times and it disturbs me. The majority of this happens in the Politics and Issues forum. Given the purpose of that forum, I can understand it to a degree. Unfortunately, some posters let it spill over into threads about camping, gear, etc. I've been a member of many many other types of forums over the years and the ability to hide behind a monitor and keyboard tends to bring out the bully in many people. Being rude and put downs are the rule of the day on political forums in particular. I believe that many new folks joining the campfire have come from these other environments and just carry it over here thinking it is just another forum and it is how all forums operate. My hope is always that after a short time here they will realize it is different and the Oath and Law should apply here. If they are Scouters, it should apply everywhere they go.

There are some folks who have really put me off lately. Since most of it is in the Politics forum, I just take it with a grain of salt, keep my mouth shut and try to move on. It wouldn't bother me at all if the moderators sent a private message to these folks. They need to be told that they have a voice and are welcome to post their thoughts, but to keep the attitude and tone in line with the Oath and Law. I don't want to see people censored or banned unless absolutely needed. But I wouldn't mind them getting a gentle nudge in private when they start crossing a line.

Just my "valuable" two cents worth.

Ditto to the previous posts. It is possible to voice your opinions without getting rude and bashing someone verbally with a quote from a scouting source and being critical because they don't follow everything to the letter. I think the posts have gotten a little better since some posters were curtailed a few months ago. Sadly, good old "bob" never came back.