Knife Between The Eyes

I just saw an item on Fox News about a 14 year old Boy Scout who ended up with a knife stuck into his head directly above and between his eyes. It took several hours of surgery to remove it. Fox had a pic of the xray showing the blade sticking into his head.

It seems that another scout was using the knife for some purpose and tried to catch someone or something that was falling, throwing away the knife as he went. Through Murphy's Law, there was a scout right where he threw it. Million to one odds I guess that it didn't miss everyone altogether, go into one of the kids eyes or penetrate far enough into the brain to do serious damage. Apparently, the kid is just fine.

The news bit didn't mention when this happened, but I got the impression it has been some time. I wonder if the knife wielding scout lost his toten' chip?

I just saw this on the internet and came here to post it when I saw Kahuna had scooped me. It was a leader who flung the knife to catch a scout who had tripped. When I first read it, I wondered why he threw it so hard it would penetrate someone's skull 1.5 inches??? Why not drop the knife. Hindsight is 20/20 and I guess you'd have to be there to know the whole story.

Guess where it happened? Utah. Is Utah like the Bermuda Triangle of Scouting?

I'm sure he wishes he had just dropped the knife. There's a lot of mass behind that skinny blade on a Leatherman - that's what made the difference.

And roger that on the Bermuda triangle!(This message has been edited by Mike F)

Again, I'm sure it is one of those things where you'd have to be there to understand how it happened. The news video said the leader was about 15 feet away. Even with the weight of a Leatherman, the knife had to be "thrown" or flung with enough force to get that far and pierce bone 1.5 inches. I believe they said the leader tossed the knife to catch the scout who tripped. A toss wouldn't have sufficient force to do that kind of damage. It was thrown. Maybe the leader had had too many Starbuck's that day and was jumpy. I still stand by my claim that Utah is the Bermuda Triangle of Scouting.