I'd like to ask for input from all of you who are "seasoned veterans" with troops. I'm working on a new parent FAQ for a troop and I'd like to know what the most commonly asked questions from new parents are, and/or common misconceptions that new parents hold regarding the troop and its program.

If you are a new(er) parent in the troop, what are some of the things you wish you'd been told or known when your boy first crossed over?

thanks for your input!

Not sure about FAQ,but stuff I would cover in a information type booklet: (Not in any real order)

1/ The Vision and Mission statement of the BSA. Along with the Scout Oath and Law.

2/ Who pays for Scouting. How much does it cost.

What money earning projects the unit does, why they are needed and where the money goes.

3/ Meeting times and locations.

4/ Dress code. What the uniform is. Where to get it and when it is to be worn.

5/ Contact information: Unit, CO, District and Council.Include phone number of Camp sites used.

6/ Health Forms.

7/Start up equipment list/ ideas. (Sleeping bag, pack and that good stuff)

8/ List of things not to be taken to Scouting events (Fireworks, guns, alcohol, cigarettes, large knives if the Council/ Unit has a policy)

9/ Parent talent survey.

10/ A brief history of the unit.

11/ Copy of the unit annual plan.

12/ Release to use photo on web site if you use one. (You might want to read the rules -I don't know that much about them.)

13/ Information about Boy's Life and the Boy Scout Handbook.( Point out the parent guide in the front of the Handbook)

14/ Unit policy on prepayment for events and refund policy.

15/ I would also add that the leaders are volunteers!! A lot of new parents with no Scouting background think we get paid.

Rather than a long list of rules and regulations I would keep it very upbeat stressing the information that can be found on page one of the Boy Scout Handbook.

Even with the best document in the world I would still visit the family at their home.

Eamonn.