Service Project done at Troop meetings

I agree with all the comments about boy led, being careful about food safety and local and state food regulations, etc. But I think it's important to remember that in many cases, raising money for an organization is far more helpful, and considered more of a service, than dropping off clothes or cans or raking their yard. Money is easily transported to where the need is, without requiring the organization to sort through stuff and pay for shipping, and it allows the charity to get the exact resources needed (instead of being left with 100 gallons of prune juice). If Scouting for Food is a service, than so is raising money for the local shelter. They both trade labor to provide help for people. Raising money just might be more effective.

I think a great Eagle project would be coming up with an effective, unique annual fundraiser for a local charity, and putting it together for the first year so that it would become an ongoing source of funds for the group. That would have a lot more long term impact on a community and demonstrate a lot more leadership than regrading a short section of trail.

We must remember that just because some council folks tell you something doesn't mean it's true. They might not want units to raise money for other NFP's because of an irrational fear that it will cut into their FOS dollars, but it's not really something they have a say in. Of course, there's a mutual obligation to not misrepresent the organization or cause scandal. A good test would be, "if we did this, would the newspaper report be viewed positively?" I see nothing wrong with "Local Boy Scouts Raise Money for Homeless Shelter." I think that's something any rational scouter would be proud of.

I particularly was amused by the gnome who told you that a troop (which is owned and operated by a CO) can't raise money for the CO. That's the BSA telling the church youth group it can't raise money for the church. Legally and practically, there's nothing the BSA could do to stop it. Yeah, I know, there's always the threat to revoke the unit's charter, but we all know that would be so far outside the Scout Oath that no SE is going to go there. Again, the "media test" is a good one for SE's as well. "Head Scout Fires Troop for Helping Church Raise Money for Handicapped Access. Church Elders and BSA Donors Outraged." I don't think so.