I'd like your thoughts on this...

My understanding is that individual BSA Troops operate as part of their CO's youth program. It seems to me that developing & maintaining a good relationship with the COR and IH is an important part of that. In our Troop some of the leaders seem to want the CO kept out of the loop. They see involving the CO or Unit Commissioner as something to be avoided at all costs. I have a great relationship with our CO, COR, IH and UC. Although we do handle most things within the unit, as long as things are done in an honest and straightforward way there shouldn't be a problem involving the CO or UC. Am I correct in my understanding that we as a Troop/Leaders serve at the pleasure of our CO and as such should keep them informed? I'm wondering how other units handle the Troop/CO partnership?

Thanks.

firecrafter

You are correct. It is the plan for the CO to be hands on and involved in the operation of the Unit. In the real world this is often not the case. Sometimes the Unit Leaders are defensive and wish to keep the CO and the UC in the dark so that they can operate as they please. Sometimes the CO, more particularly the COR do not wish to be bothered with any problems and like to think everything is OK.

It is the responsibility of the DE to maintain contact with the CO. It is the responsibility of the UC to maintain contact with the Unit.

If both of these responsibilities are met, problem Units can be helped before they curl up and die.

You are correct on how it is supposed to work. As someone who has signed up along with other troop leaders to direct traffic for a major church event in a few weeks, at our CO/church, I guess we have a pretty good relationship with our CO. They choose not to become intimately involved with the troop, which is ok with us, but we do things for them and they do things for us, which obviously works out on both sides. I do not have direct contact with the pastor, but my understanding is that when the CC informs him of what's going on in the troop, the response is a polite "thanks" and then everybody goes aboout their business for a few more months until someone needs something.

As for how the relationship is handled in other units, based on what I have seen and also on what I have read in this forum, I'd say it is handled in as many different ways as you can possibly think of, from a direct and perfect symbiotic relationship, through the many and varied kinds of good and/or acceptable relationships that may or may not go "exactly by the book," all the way over to various dysfunctional relationships, feuding, the occasional lawsuit etc. etc. It's all part of the incredible diversity of mankind's ability to get along, or not get along, with each other.

I'd agree with Baden, but add one more responsibility, perhaps the most important. It is the responsibility of the unit leader and unit committee to develop and maintain a healthy relationship with their chartered organization.

All unit leaders must be approved by the chartered organization. The chartered organization also signs the annual agreement with BSA each year that continues the existence of the unit. I'd suggest that they read the agreement every year (or have it read to them).

I think a lot depends on what kind of organization the CO is--many of them don't really have a "youth program," aside from hosting a Scout troop. Some, like the LDS Church, fully integrate Scouting into their youth program. Others, like PTAs, have a very transitory leadership which makes it hard to create a strong relationship.

If your CO is a church, I think the relationship may also vary depending on how many church members are in the troop. In my son's troop, there are no youth members in the church, but the COR is very active and is a former Scoutmaster. That really helps the relationship with the CO.

Thanks to everyone who replied! In our case the CO is a church. The Troop generally handles day to day activities with the SM giving an informal report to the IH every few months. The SM, along with two parents/committee member, are the only ones who maintain a relationship with the IH and COR. The CC feels the CO is best left out of the loop. He has expressed the fear that "we will lose control of the Unit" by involving the CO too much. He is a good man, but in that area I disagree. The UC is not really interested in having the CO's imput, and feels we should handle things on our own. I am of the mindset that as part of their youth program, we rather owe it to the CO to keep them informed. I have suggested providing the CO with more Scout material and also committee's minutes. Few like this idea. What are they afraid of?

firecrafter

NJCubScouter said a mouthful! And ain't it the truth!?

"As for how the relationship is handled in other units, based on what I have seen and also on what I have read in this forum, I'd say it is handled in as many different ways as you can possibly think of, from a direct and perfect symbiotic relationship, through the many and varied kinds of good and/or acceptable relationships that may or may not go "exactly by the book," all the way over to various dysfunctional relationships, feuding, the occasional lawsuit etc. etc. It's all part of the incredible diversity of mankind's ability to get along, or not get along, with each other."

Firecrafter, does the church already have its own separate youth program? Is your membership limited to church members, or is it open to anyone? How much of the troop is composed of church members? It seems to me that the answers to these questions would give some insight on how much input the CO should have into the actual program of your troop. If the troop is closely aligned with the church, and has all or mostly church members, then the CO might expect to have a lot of input into your program. On the other hand, if the church is mainly a friendly host, and the unit is made up mostly of non-church members, I wouldn't expect the church to get involved in setting your program very much at all. Perhaps rather than giving the CO the committee minutes, there could be a periodic report to the church's governing body (ie, church council, council of elders, or whatever that church calls it)?

Hunt,

The church does have several other youth programs, a Jr. high & HS program, kids choir, youth band. In addition they host both Cub Scout and Girl Scout groups, but do not charter those groups. The IH has said his reason for chartering a BSA unit is that he believes BSA has maintained it's integrity over the years. We welcome boys from the church as well as those from the community to join our unit. I would say about 25% of the Scouts & there families attend the church.

The SM has always met informally but on a regular basis with the COR & IH to keep them informed. We regularly help with the Charter's food pantry and do various service projects as needed. SM pretty much handles all dealings with the CO and reports back to the CC & Committee.

firecrafter

The Troop has been having some difficulty recently and the SM has asked for support from the CC & other leaders. The CC is in agreement with the SM, but refuses to make a difficult call. The other Leaders tell the SM it's his call, but when he mentions asking the CO for support they seem to panic. They do not want the CO involved. In a perfect Scout world I imagine the CC & Committe having a better relationship with the CO.

firecrafter