I have been thinking about the Good Turn for a while. The Good Turn is an act done out of kindness and not for a reward, badge, or token. It is a thoughtful act done cheerfully, without being asked and is done to the best of ones ability and accomplished in the spirit of being helpful. It has a way of bringing trustworthiness and friendliness home to one's acts for any and all. It has more to do with one's motive than anything else. One must be brave because others will view these acts as dumb. It allows one to be courteous and has a way of making and keeping one clean in thought word and deed. It builds honor, loyalty and obedience to one's God and shadows one's reverence to their God regularly. This duty is a very powerful concept and is Scouting in a nutshell.

FB

How much of what we do is Good Turn and how much is for self? Several years ago, my wife and I were living in a small trailer. I tore out the shelves in the kitchen and vowed to rebuild them bigger and better. I put together the first large unit, floor to ceiling and began to finish them. My wife asked me about the reason that I was putting finish on the underside of each shelf. I said because someone might look there one day and would be appreciative of a job well done. Time and our family moved on to other homes but that unit of shelves remained with us. I now use them in the garage for storage. Every now and then I peek under the shelves and laugh to myself about how much I appreciate a job well done.

I can now build shelves without attempting perfection. I accept that some things are unnecessary. I try to find things to do more often that have worth and that someone would truly be appreciative of when they find out what was done.

FB