Scoutmaster incentive to sell popcorn

I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas for incentives for the Scoutmaster to get the boys to sell alot of popcorn. In the past, if the boys reached a certain goal, he'd shave his head or each individual boy who reached a certain dollar amount would get to throw a pie in his face. I was looking for a fresh idea to motivate the boys.

I'm no prude, by any means, but the "pie in the face" and "shaved head" things always rub me the wrong way. Let's make our incentives more positive, instead of laced with violence and humiliation. It's hard enough to teach today's young people respect for their elders.

The PLC needs to be involved in the Unit Budgeting Plan. It should be explained to the PLC that in order to fund their annual plan, and take care of other expenses such as awards, registration, equipment, etc, X amount of money needs to be raised. Handouts from parents is , or shouldn't be an option. Why should they need more motivation (or money) than that? One of the cornerstones of scouting is that the boys are supposed to pay their own way, not have it handed to them. Make a plan, then work to achieve it.

External, visible, and desireable motivation has always helped fundraisers, no matter how noble the purpose. Perhaps the astated goal of the fundraiser should be sufficient but often it just isn't- especially during the middle 'dragging' phase of the activity.

Adventures work nicely- some variation of 'if we hit X, we'll all go to Adventure Park!', then a big tote board to proudly display the progress towards the goal.

Food is also a motivator in our society- a pizza party and all the trimmings, or a ice cream blow out, or a full-on pig roast, etc.

Scoutmaster (or other nice, visible target) serving some sort of hazing is popular, but I agree that it is not my preferred method. Besides the pie or shaving, you can try things like...

Scoutmaster and/or adult leadership will...

- buy specific, moderately priced treats for all

- put up the tents and/or cook for the unit next campout

- wear the dumbest looking hats you can find to each meeting/event for a month

- sponser a movie and popcorn meeting night (or some other special meeting-based event- especially in colder weather months)

- be silent for a certain number of meetings (notes and handsigns optional!)

- offer a surprise special guest at a given meeting (local band, special guest speaker, small-group performer like a magician, news crew, live animals, science demo, etc.)

- hold up signs at a crowded public site loudly proclaiming how great the unit is (would it be appropriate to be in uniform for this?) OR post baners in strategic locations (which can also all serve as a rrecruiting tool!)