BSA Handbook-12th Edition (just thinking ahead)

Well, that assumes that (a) Scouts (particularly new Scouts) _know_ that they should be writing their own adventure, and (b) there are other Scouts they can use as models. We know that not every troop runs an ideal program, and not every Scout is having an adventurous Scouting career that can serve as a model for other Scouts. A handbook written as a novel would not only serve to fire the imagination and teach skills, it would serve as a handy and universal model that Scouts and troops could emulate.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

Dan-

I'm a big fan of the Handbook being one of those books you'd want on a desert island and/or being a straightforward handbook. I'd vote against the novel idea as such FOR THE MAIN HANDBOOK.

However, I think it would be wonderful if there was something like that for more pleasureable reading. Actually, I'd love to see a well done series of adventure books done with a Scouting theme written for younger Scout-age boys.

Well, I'd say make a handbook available for adults (actually, I'd prefer an encyclopedia-type organization). Give the boys a book they will actually read cover to cover and that doesn't look anything like those textbooks they have to deal with every day in school.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA