I honestly do believe that most Scoutmasters are not brain dead. In fact most are intelligent talented people who are also very clever and resourceful.

I think most are capable of asking Why? And How?

Mr. Scoutmaster sees that attendance at Troop meetings is not good. He asks himself Why? He asks the PLC why? He also asks how can we make meetings better, how can we make our meetings the best show in town? How can we make our meetings so darn good that no one will want to miss one? Being the clever chap that he is he will meet with the PLC after each meeting for a very brief reflection.

Maybe when he asked Why? there was a reason why? Maybe a lot of Scouts were involved with a school play or other activity. Maybe it is just a temporary thing that will fix itself in a few weeks? But maybe the Troop meeting night is never going to work and needs to be changed?

He could go to the Troop Committee and ask for a by-law but if the meetings are bad all the by-laws under heaven are not going to change things.

In another thread we have almost 80 replies on First Class First Year.

Again for a moment lets change the first year to a reasonable amount of time.

But if Mr.Scoutmaster is looking over the advancement records and sees that a lot of the Scouts who have been in the troop for a while are not reaching First Class he has to ask himself why? He will go to the Leadership team and ask why? Then he will see how they can fix what isn't working. Look for where the hold up is and do something about fixing it.

I could go on and ask Why the Troop members are wearing uniform and see how that could be turned around.

Why the PLC is not up to snuff?

Why Scouts get lost on every hike?

Why Scouts are not attending Camp-outs?

But far more important is the How do we go about fixing it and getting it right!!

Believe me the answer does not lie in a bunch of stupid rules and by-laws.

Eamonn.

Quite true.

In my mind, if you're busy doing Scouting, you don't have time to write or read any by-laws. However, if you're too busy doing other things to have enough time to devote a chunk of it to Scouting, you certainly don't have time to write or read any by-laws.

- Oren