Last night, before bed, my wife was watching House Hunters on HGTV. I walked in the room when an add came on for I think, some Realter organization. Anyway, the add showcased a member that is a Scoutmaster and how big of an impact he has had on the boys in the troop and community.

At first I thought it was an add for the BSA. There were a lot of scenes showing the troop in action and the Scoutmaster doing scouting stuff. All were in their uniforms doing real scout stuff. It was one of those, "our members care for the community" ads and was really nice to see, especially with the scouting bent. Have any of you seen this add yet?

SWScouter

Saw something very similar a couple of years ago.

It was for State Farm Insurance. It showed an agent as a Scoutmaster doing some scout stuff and as a youth sports coach. It ended with he's not just your agent he's also your neighbor.

Depending on the ad, some companies can get their spot listed as a Public Service Announcement (PSA). Those are generally spots that are about a non profit (such as scouts), but they end with a "This message was brought to you by __________."

If your council wants more TV advertising, I would suggest going the sponsored PSA route. It's great because your council gets an ad, the TV station gets money from the sponsor, the TV station also gets to help meet their requirement for showing PSAs, and the sponsor gets to attach their name to scouting while getting an ad and a tax break for donating to a charitable cause. Wins all around.

Of course, the executives at your council will know better how to legally do this in accordance with any National policy.

Anyway, for anyone who wants to see more BSA advertising on TV, this is the route to go.

Then again, Midas car repair centers have a few comercials going where the "Happy Voyageurs" need a brake job on the station wagon before the canoe trip. With neckerchiefs, uniform and references to an oath they do appear similar to an BSA unit. Whatever its called, Boy Scouts are "often imitated, never duplicated "