Seperate Commisioner Training?

Should not each branch have their own set of commisioners? Cub-Boy-Venture-et cetera?

I already ran into difficulties with one of my packs because my training was almost entirely handling Troops (I have 3 Packs, no Troops) and i simply couldn't figure out why the Principal would not sign the recharter. I brought it up to my District Commisioner and he said the District Executive would handle it. Where does this leave me? I still have no idea what to do should this problem occur again.

(And the CM involved didn't want me there anyway. I called three times and his wife answered twice and had some mysterious reason why he couldn't come to the phone. I think he thinks i was butting in where I don't belong. This makes it difficult to ask if i can visit the pack meeting.)

I assume that, since i was trained to talk to church representatives, a Cub Commisioner training might include some helpful hints on how to talk to (or even get ahold of) principals and the like. Of my three Packs, only one is attached to a church/school, and the assistant Pastor is the one i have to deal with there. That leaves two principals.

It occurs to me that i am rambling now and I shall shut up.

Troops are not just sponsored by churches and packs by schools. I have never heard of training that would teach a commissioner how to talk to someone based on whether the are a church representative, a school representative, American, Legion, etc....

What you were supposed to be taught is how units are structured. What are healthy program elements, and what are signs of a weak program.

And what BSA and community resources are available to help.

Sounds like your District Commissioner needs more training at this point in time than the commissioners do.

You might consider getting a hold of some Unit commission manuals from your local council office and doing some independent study. I think you will find them useful.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I concur with BW's advice: get a copy of the Commissioner materials at your Scout Shop and take a look.

I attended UC training about six months ago, and I have a copy of the Commissioner manuals -- there are no CO-specific materials that I can recall, and the only level-specific materials were in the the unit visit checklists.

Fred Goodwin

Unit Commissioner

Alamo Area Council

Ok, so i took a look at the papers I have and the stuff i needed was probably there. I have concluded the video (which is much of what i remember of the training) had two Troop things ("The Visit" and the Chartering Organization Rep visit) one Cub thing (Commitee visit {finding a new CM}) and one venture thing (our crew doesn't meet, what do we do!?)

I now see what went wrong (I was rather confused.)