BSA Physical Fitness Award - Clarifications?

I'm interested in the BSA Physical Fitness Award. But I've a number of questions about the requirements. I have already contacted my local district and council and that staff isn't very familiar with the program.

Is there a "national" contact that I can pursue?

This was one of my Wood Badge ticket items. I chose it because it would be a personal challenge for me and because I'd been frustrated with not getting any answers to my questions at the Council office.

Long story short, there aren't any answers at National, at least none that my District Exec. could find with multiple phone calls and emails.

So, my counselor and I just winged it. I suggest that you do the same.

- Oren

Say what?

No one at my Council office knows that it was a one year only award. When my DE called National, in 2004, on one told him that the program was over. I looked again at the printed and website info, and I didn't see anything there about a one year only program.

Really?

"Two important challenges in preparing youth for the 21st centuryparticularly in today's increasingly automated and sedentary cultureare physical fitness and good health. Every adult leader for the year 2002 should set the example and contribute directly to the health and fitness of today's Scouts by completing requirements for the BSA Physical Fitness Award."

The award requirement do not say this is just a 2002 award! I did find the above statement but its not stating that is is only a one shot deal.

Mark Maranto

The following is a link to an Oct. 2004 article from Scouting magazine which describes the award as having been offered "since 2001," and referring readers to the same publication noted above for info on earning the award.

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0410/d-famt.html

Scouting is published by BSA. A Google search also shows that plenty of Councils, units, and others think the award is available. I certainly wouldn't read the wording in the publication to mean that the award is offered only in 2002--I would have interpreted it to mean that it began then. At the least, there is a communcations problem here. If the award is no longer supported, that fact has not clearly been made known to multiple people who need to know it.

Before anyone takes this too far let me poinbt out I didn't write the release. I found it. Tjm asked for help, no one else had any informatiion so I did some looking around and fount the relaes. It says "in 2002" Not any scout or leader who does these things but "in 2002".

Be careful not to kill the messenger just because you do no like the message.

As far as people "needing" the award. I can see why some could use the health benefits of it, and some may want it. But no other advancment or award is dependent on it so I know of no reason anyone "needs" it.

According to the mentor notes the completed application is returned to the council with the unit leaders signature. I would go back to your council with print-outs of the documents that Hunt and I have referenced and ask your council if they have further information.

Hope this helps,

BW

Thank you for the reply. I was aware of the information Bob White provided - hitting the national web site was one of the first things I did. I had also found the reference provided by Hunt. So far my experience has matched orennoah exactly. As far as I can tell, this is still an active award. As Hunt and others pointed out, many councils around the nation still show this award available on the information on their web sites. Also the award is still listed in the US Scouting Service Project web site.

The link to national does a good job explaining the goals and objectives of the award. Its light on the "execution" part - how to actually administer the award program. In a nutshell, the award is available to all scouts (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturer) and scouters. My read between the lines is this is focused toward adult scouters. The goal is to promote individuals to adopt fitness programs aimed at improving overall fitness over your lifetime. Something I recently decided to do for myself and have been very thankful I did.

Of course, I am a little disappointed that no one seems to have a better handle on the "execution" than I've gotten. Orennoah's reply let's me know I'm not alone.

Well, I'm going to promote it in my council. I'll post in the future and let you know how well it goes.