Jumping back into the Game. Cheers!

After a decade hiatus for education/career reasons, I’m getting reconnected with Scouting. And my oh my did I pick a decade to be unplugged from what was happening in Scouting.

A huge “Thanks” to all of you and the reading/wisdom you’ve generated on this board the past several years. I’m going cross-eyed getting caught up on bankruptcies and mergers and LDS-exit and camp sales and CO liabilities….lots of food for thought.

Despite all of the above, I’ve never been more convinced of the importance of Scouting in our society. Our hard work provides youth with the digital detox, the face-to-face socialization, and the practice of small-scale democracy that today’s young families are wanting. And it is completely capable of providing the fun that the youth are craving in this era of “school creep” that has resulted in every waking hour being earmarked for “building that college application file”. It’s up to us to deliver that experience and I’m confident we will. This will be a decade of an upswing in Scouting’s salience (or else I’ll die trying).

I am reminded of the biblical story of Nehemiah: After deciding to tackle the impossible task of rebuilding the city’s walls, the solution was to empower each man to rebuild the wall in his own back yard. Scouting begins at the unit level, and strong units lead to strong districts, not the other way around. 

WWW!

• Upvote 1