Scouts - the program for all

We have this ongoing problem with the Troop, and how to handle the older scouts - past 13/14.

I have a couple of different msgs on the topic, but here is another set of observations and comments - at least from our Troop's standpoint -

We just got back from a weekend campout,

and I think it comes down to a Scouts commitment & interest....

The same for meetings - we have :

A - the new scouts working on advancement

B - the middle scouts working on advancement

C - the old scouts working on MB's with no other interests - and no attendance

D - the old scouts having the MB's and helping as Guides - maybe -

E - the middle/old scouts NOT working on adv or MBs - just goofing -

At the campout, two of the three ASPLs were not there - (older Scouts, paper positions)

and the one ASPL that was there didn't do much to help... since these older Scouts don't know Scouting skills.

The other two ASPLs have the title on the roster, but don't come to campouts because they are on year round soccer & water polo teams.

Then, the months go by...we don't see them except at a few meetings,

and they have "fulfilled" their requirement for rank advancement... (yeah, I complain, but get browbeat to shutup)

Last spring we acquired several new Coleman backpacking stoves that they took with them during a hike - and used for cooking lunch.

My son has taken an interest in "fire building" of any kind, and was probably the only one that knew how to light the stoves...

...as he said when he got home.... wasn't that a rank requirement along the way...

So, for some reason, he is "interested" in Scouting and forges ahead. They are pushing him to be SPL, and also go to JLTC - (did both over spring, summer, and fall)...

However - he is just one guy... maybe with a couple of his other "interested" scouts things can turn around.

BUT, the basic problem, as I've fought for and lost for the past 3 years...

No one ever wants to say "no" - for fear of "losing" the scout.

ie - We have a 70% attendance policy for advancement - not enforced - but the older scouts NEVER show up at meetings or campouts, and then go to a MB clinic or university

(do they REALLY learn anything there ?? - different rant & thread)

and after that, show up for a BOR, and we haven't seen them for 2 years !!

BUT, they are STILL in Scouting !! Who wins ??