If you were not such a good Boy Scout ?

While being a Boy Scout in this discussion, I'd have to say that I probably would just be a lazy, old bum doing absolutely nothing just like the rest of my school.

Scouting has taught me to get into basically everything that I've gotten in into since I've gotten into Scouts. Baseball is the only exception and I wouldnt give it up for a million bucks.

hops I reckon a lot of scouts end up the same way. It just gets into you and then you cant help yourself.

For myself, it used to be that every time I was given a desk job and lost command of soldiers for a while I would find the nearest or saddest Troop around. Now the opposite view of what to do without Scouting is a bit scary.

I suppose I would have to be outdoors with any young people who wanted to be there too. Tried the Army cadets for a while but the management is like swimming in embalming fluid (to borrow a phrase form Hap Klopp).

I would probably take foster kids outdoors.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any plans other than what I'm doing and going to do in Scouting. As of now I'm scheduled up till 2007 and the Jamboree.

The past few weeks have been tough with four and five meetings a week.

Sad to say things between me and the District Commissioner are not going well and one of us really had to go for the good of the District. The nominating committee have decided to replace him. I can't say that I'm surprised the guy is a super nice guy, in fact maybe a little too nice. He wants to please everyone and tends to be two faced when this happens. I only have a year left as District Chairman, there is talk of extending my term to five years, I don't think I will go the extra two years.

I really don't do much other than Scouting, and would really not know what to do with myself. OJ,will be 17 next birthday and needs me less and less of course while he is driving on a permit he can't seem to see enough of me. I do some stuff with the church, but the people who are really involved are a little bit to holy for me. The Priest is a nice Lad, but he drinks this prune brandy imported from Poland.

Sad to say I really don't have the money to do much more charity work, when we had the restaurants opened it seemed that everyone wanted money so we choose to support Ulster Project Delaware, which brings kids from the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland to the USA for a vacation and promotes religious understanding and tolerance. Her That Must Be Obeyed is a non-catholic and I am a Roman Catholic. Her Dad died from lung cancer, so we have always supported the American Cancer Society, we both are just nuts about dogs and do support two pet adoption shelters, just to show that we aren't prejudiced they work with cats as well. We have also supported local school activities in our area. Then of course there is the local council and things that pop up in the District.

I love to read and will read just about anything. I dislike paperback books, somehow they seem disposable, I like real books. I keep them and when I run out of things to read will re-read them.

I also like music, I can't play any instruments, but nearly always have something playing. I never liked tapes and would still prefer to buy the big old LP'S, I loved the covers and I don't know why? But for some reason I used to take more care of them then I do Cd's. I like just about any type of music, but am not too keen on modern jazz and a lot of the rap. I never bought much country and western, I do like Cash,Willie Nelson but some guy singing about his lost dog, wife,train and six pack never did much for me of course Cash was great at singing about all of them with a few jails thrown in for good measure.

I think if I were to quit Scouting I would like to become really good at training dogs, they really are great animals, it is a shame that people who have them don't spend the time to train them. As I write it must be nap time I have one beside me and one behind me and both are fast asleep. They call them dumb animals? Maybe Paul Simon sends dogs off to sleep?

Eamonn.

"While being a Boy Scout in this discussion, I'd have to say that I probably would just be a lazy, old bum doing absolutely nothing just like the rest of my school."

"It just gets into you and then you cant help yourself."

Amen, a million times!!

My HARDCORE involvement in scouting has influenced my life so much that there's no telling where I'd be now. The friends I've made through my involvement in scouting have made such a tremendous impact in my life. I've seen so many other friends become less and less involved in scouting, and eventually I've lost touch with them.

Well...Scouter is one of a few hats that I wear. I'm heavily involved in the children's ministry at our church. I'm also a parent-volunteer with a youth community theatre group that my oldest son performs with. My youngest son recently signed up with a basketball league, and I imagine I will get to invest my "just one hour a week" with that enterprise. I actually anticipate getting more involved with Scouting at a District or Council level after my sons have left the nest. I don't think that I will ever completely let it go.