The Patrol Method - Patrols and Outings

On 3/23/2024 at 9:55 AM, ramanous said:

So I think one suggestion you're making is to let the patrols self-organize naturally as much as possible?

We actually have the opposite problem than you, which is our SM refuses to use the patrol method in favor of the SPL running the troop directly (the PLs have no responsibility.) He's been a scouter for a long time, including woodbadge, so its confounding to me (I asked him privately to explain it; that was big mistake.) I'm speculating the Key3 want the troop to be an Eagle Scout factory so they see PL, SPL, etc as just requirements for rank advancement.

I found self-organizing was key.  Not right away but just ahead of the next elections we had "patrol re-org night".  SPL announced "You are all released from your patrols!"  They were given 30 minutes to "congeal" into new patrols.  It was interesting.  We started with 5 Patrols, we ended with 5 Patrols.  Noone specified max/min Patrol size nor number of patrols - we just let it happen.  I was worried about this as we have 5 patrol kits... so as much as I love the Patrol Method - sometimes practical considerations do play a part. 

As it turned out, the politics and awkwardness involved with being honest and making a change was too much for a lot of the youth to stomach.  Which I get.  Imagine taking your patrol into the patrol room and saying "If anyone wants to change Patrols go ahead"  That's a lot of pressure.  This was a way to allow it without making anyone voice that decision.

In the end, every Patrol seemed happier and stronger.  I'm not sure if it needs to be annual, but I think it was a super healthy way to promote some mobility.

We did not provide a lot of rules.  We said a good guideline was 10-12 max in a patrol, YPT was mandatory as is buddy system.  So the Patrols needed to support all that.  We shoot for 10-12 in a Patrol as it seems on average you'll get 60-80% of a Patrol max at meetings and outings.  Which lends itself to right-sized groups for outings and meetings.

Second tip:  Get your SPL to NYLT.  If Wood Badge is not getting the SM to act right, NYLT might get your SPL to start delegating, etc.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:36 PM, InquisitiveScouter said:

Fair warning: it is messy, and adults can do it much better... but then it would not be Scouting

This is accurate.

You must get comfortable with failure and imperfection.  But nothing is better than when the Patrols finally get it together.  They will.  You have to let them.  I think way too many adult leaders feel this is the "no fail" zone.  They think they (the leader) will "look bad" if the unit is not super regimental.  Everyone needs to get over that ego.  It's not about us adults.  We're just there to sip coffee, sit as much as possible, and keep them out of traffic.  Our job is to help them fail less each time.  Not to avoid failure.

• Upvote 2