webelo 2 leader,B&G coordinater

Need advice. We have a large pack and our B&G will have about 100 or so scouts and around 400 with family. members. We have 20 webelos II and all are earning their AOL. We tend to do our AOL and crossover (and other move up advancements) at the B&G. My question is.. If only half of the boys know that they will go on to a scout troop by Feb. , who gets to "crossover" ? There is the 'only those who have joined a troop' camp. And the ' I f they earned the AOL and are of age they should be able to (theoretically) crossover into "boy scouting"" camp . ie . if they decide later to join a troop have they missed out? What is the official rule, and where can I find a written copy of the official rule so that I don't have any infighting?

Not everything in scouting is controlled by rules. Most things are not. This is one of those things that isn't.

AOL and crossovers are handled differently in different units. The most common, in my experience, is that you have two distinct ceremonies. One for AOL and one for crossing into Boy Scouts.

Do which ever ceremomy or ceremonies are appropriate, for whichever scout, at the time they meet the requirements.

So if everyone is ready for AOL fine have a ceremony for all of them. If only three are ready to join a troop have a crossover for those three. Later if one or two more select a troop and are ready to leave then do the ceremony again for them.

Don't worry if everyone is ready for the same recognistion at the same time. That is not what the advancement program is about. As boys are ready to be recocognized... doit.

BW

Spell check gave out before the final paragraph. :) It should have read...

Don't worry if everyone is not ready for the same recognition at the same time. That is not what the advancement program is about. As boys are ready to be recognized... do it.

I strongly support Bob's position - have distinct ceremonies for AOL and crossover. The way we handle it in my pack is they occur at different times. The AOL ceremony will be at the B&G in February. The crossover ceremony (featuring OA dance team if I'm really lucky) at the regular March pack meeting. For those scouts in my W2 den who don't earn the AOL and aren't 11 by March, I'll continue working with them through the spring, holding den meetings concurrent with troop meetings.

We do the same thing as CubsRG48. We do AOL at the B&G banquet and crossover in March. I also agree with Bob's point, that not all have to do it at the same time. However, we do one super-nice, fancy presentation at those times.

We re-discuss this every year, and we always end up doing it the same way. The primary reasons are:

1) It keeps the B&G ceremony from getting too L-O-N-G.

2) It allows the boys to get recognized twice for two distinctive things - earning the AOL and making the decision to go on to Boy Scouting.

3) It gives the Webelos a few weeks "cushion" between the two programs. We encourage the den leader to throw a party and have a good time between these two events.