scoutmaster references

If I was the perfect Scoutmaster, and I had a shelf of reading material that had EVERYTHING I needed to know, what reading material would be on that shelf?

Here are some that I know about:

1. Troop Committee Guide Book.

2. Scout Handbook

3. Field Book

4. Scoutmaster Handbook

5. Troop Program Resources

6. Troop Program Features

7. JLT video and training manual

8. YPT video

8. Teaching Leave No Trace

9. MacScouter Skits and Songs

What books or references do you have that I have not listed?

Honestly you van do a fine jpob as a Scoutmaster using the Boy Scout Handbook, Scoutmaster Handbook, The Senior Patrol Leader Handbook and The Patrol Leaders Handbook.

I would take out YPT, That requires you be approved as a presenter by the Scout executive. YPT training is a responsibility of the Council/district training committees.

Consider adding the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual, Insignia Control Guide, Historic Trails list, Camp cook book, Be Expert with Map and Compass, Peterson's Field Guide to Bird Identification. A good mammal Identification guide, a good plant identification guide, a good knot book.......

You see the problem with education is it never ends. :)

In addition to Mich632's and BW's references, I have on my bookshelf (2 feet from me right now):

- BSA Tours and Expeditions (great for Venture-age outing planning)

- Campmor Catalog

- REI catalog

- Scouter magazines

- Backpacker magazines

- "Hiker's Guide to Oahu"

- Knots and how to tie them

- OA Handbook

- Fieldbook for Australian Scouting

Good list of resources being generated here.

I will point out (clearing my throat) that the resources provided to every troop by Friends of Scouting that should also be listed as necessary for a good Scoutmaster to have as a ready reference:

1 -- the latest issue of your council's newsletter. Provided to you by the council which lists what's going on, new programs, training information, etc.

2 -- the council program calendar which lists dates of training, activities, roundtables, etc.

3 -- The handouts from the last roundtable

4 -- the names and phone numbers of the current district leadership: including the district chairman, district commissioner, training chairman, advancement chairman, finance chairman, your unit commissioner, etc.

The published manuals of the BSA are excellent. However, this message is a commercial aimed to make sure you're using your local resources to your best advantage.

Unc.