Any suggestions on how to get scouts to quite down at meetings. At our past troop meeting, we spent 20 minutes waiting for scouts to quite down. We have threatened to withold signing off on "Show scout spirit" as it is a disregard for several points of the scout law (curtious, obedient). This doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

ASPL

What a great subject for the PLC to look at.

Planning the meeting is a big help (No I'm not saying that you didn't!!)

At the gathering period have a real energetic lively game. Dodge-ball,comes to mind. You will find lots of Scout games on the UK Scout-net web site. Use games to set the mood. Don't use the same ones all the time. Someone said in another Thread that the PLC meetings were boring. We used them to test new games and new ideas. Word games are good to settle the group down, things like Buzz. Or Simon Says.

One sure way that I found of getting them to quite down was "Just a minute"

The rules are easy. Ask the boys to stand with their hands behind their back. Make sure that there are no clocks in sight. When they think exactly one minute has passed they have to sit down. The minute starts from when the SPL says GO and he is checking on his trusty Timex.

While I agree with all you have said about the Scout Law and them being rude. When the PLC is planning the meetings remember that fun is the fuel of Scouting. Talk to them about finding the balance of getting what the patrols need to do, what the ASM's need to be doing and having fun. If for some reason the meeting is going to be really boring (You are covering YP and showing the video) Do something nice. Ice cream bars are my big thing.

We used the inter-patrol competition to help keep things moving. Dumb things like the first patrol to touch all four walls and fall in. You can add in a quiet line or whatever. Teach this to the SPL and let him add this sort of thing as and when he sees the need.

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/direct/games/index.php

There are a lot of good ideas here.

I used to keep a book with all the troop programs. I was wrong this is a job for the Scribe. At the PLC we would rate what we had done last month as part of the Business meeting. Some ideas looked good on paper, some worked well with just the PLC, but failed when the troop got hold of them.

At the end of each Troop meeting, all the adults would go for a drink of some sort. We would review the meeting, discuss how the SPL had done or was doing, talk about Lads that had done well and discuss Lads that were being a right royal pain in the neck or someplace?? If it seemed one Lad was acting this way I would do my best to have a very quick word with him before the next meeting. Not a full sermon, just a "Hey Amin, are you OK?" "I noticed last week you seemed not to be yourself." Nine times out of ten, the Lad will look at you as if you are nuts. Then he will tell you he is fine. While you haven't given the "I have my eye on you" Speech, the Lad knows that you have your eye on him. Of course that leaves the one other time when a Lad will share with you that something is bugging him. When this happens you have too make time for him, never ever brush him off. You asked and if he is willing to talk to you find a way of making the time to listen to him. If it is totally impossible at that very minute find a time that night.

One other thing that I have found that helps me a lot is that before and sometimes during a meeting I will ask myself "Hey how are you doing?" Me knowing how I feel has made a world a difference to the way I act and react. As a rule I am overjoyed to spent time with kids. I had a wonderful childhood and I'm so grateful that these young people allow me to be part of their childhood. I see it as a great honor. But like most people there are times when I get upset or a little mad. When this happens, just knowing that I am feeling that way can move things in a more positive direction.

I have only just noticed that you are a ASPL. I missed that before now. I did write all this thinking that you were an adult. Sorry about that.I could edit it and make it more appropriate, but I'm hoping that you can take the bits that you can use.

It doesn't matter if you are a youth or an adult, I really dislike threats. Most times when people make threats they are upset. I am a man of my word I like people to believe what I say. Threats put me between a rock and a hard place. Please don't make threats,that in it self is very un-Scout like.

If there is a need for some sort of disciplinary action, that should come from the Troop Committee. The guys in the troop are your brother Scouts, if they are younger than you some of them see you as some sort of a hero. Try seeing yourself as their hero. Would a hero threaten those that look up to him? No of course not!!

Eamonn.

At the beginning of each Troop meeting the PL of each patrol gets a scout coin (available at your service center), When the scout sign goes up the patrol that is the first to go silent gets another coin. The patrol that is last gets one taken away. At the end of the meeting the patrol with more than one coin gets a reward. The others do not. There are a number of rewards you can use, be creative.

Eamonn brings up an excellent point start with The PLC and the adults make sure everyone understands why it is important for thenm as leaders to control their team for the benefit of all.

Let us know how things go.

BW