I need a favor. A neighbor is interested in joining Boy Scouts. He is a 7th grader. I remember when we were "shopping" for troops, our Webelos leader gave us a guidelines sheet with questions to ask and things to look for in a troop. I can't seem to find anything like this on the web, and it has been several years since we used it and don't have a copy anymore. Can anyone steer me to something that can help this family?

Thanks

First of all, congrats on getting a 7th grader interested in joining a troop! That's not easy.

Now, remember, a 7th grader is not a boy. He's a young adult and capable of making his own choices.

I'd begin by asking him what he's looking for in Boy Scouting. Is it advancement -- then find a troop that makes that it's focus. Is he interested in camping -- then find a troop that goes camping every month (or more!) Does he want to be in with a lot of boys? Or a smaller troop?

Your district commissioner or district executive can help him find the answers once the young man decides the questions. Better still, call the scout office, let them know what you're up to, and ask for a list of Scoutmasters. Let the young man call and interview them and then make his decision.

Remember, if he doesn't like the troop, he can transfer to another for a buck.

Unc.

I've seen something like a checklist, but it's been a few years and I didn't save it. The main reason is because for me, it was common sense stuff. In my opinion, your neighbor, if he's also your friend, doesn't need a paper guideline sheet -- he has something better. That is, a human guide, in you. You can almost certainly give better advice on the "intangibles" than any piece of p