The impression I got was that this boy is working on 1st class and neither the SM conference or the BOR has taken place. If the boy is being beligerent, he is not showing Scout Spirit. If he is consistently doing it and not just having a bad day, it is totally appropriate for the SM to not sign off on the Scout Spirit requirement for 1st class. Most of our Scouts (new troop of 11 and 12 year olds and no 1st class scouts yet) were LESS then exemplery on our campout this past weekend. By the end of the campout, our SM had a little "come to Jesus" meeting with them explaining that earning the rank of 1st class means you have arrived at a point where you are considered a leader. Not only within the troop, but within the whole of the BSA. He was not threatening, he was just laying out the expectations of Scout Spirit. He told them that they needed to reflect on the oath and law long and hard and measure themselves against it, because that would be exactly what he would be doing when it came time to sign off Scout Spirit. Without it, they won't make 1st class. We can't add to or take away from the requirements. If a boy attempts to make a camp gadget by just wrapping a rope round and round a few poles and ties it off with a bow knot, we won't sing that off. If he doesn't show scout spirit, we won't sign that off either. It is not we who are holding the boy back form earning his rank, it is the boy himself for not fulfilling the requirement as stated in the handbook.

Thank you EagleinKY and Beav.

You did explain what I was thinking. If EVREYTHING is done for the rank advancemen, I would not hold up the rank. If the Scoutmaster conference had not yet been held, then by all means, its a definite "attitude adjustment" time. Even if the scout had completed everything, BOR etc and continued his aberrant behavior, an expulsion from troop activities for a period of time might be considered by the Comittee.

The G2SS mentions discipline a lot in a lot of different places.

Constructive discipline.

Discipline used in Scouting should be constructive and reflect Scouting's values. Corporal punishment is never permitted.

Adult leaders of Scouting units are responsible for monitoring the behavior of youth members and interceding when necessary. Parents of youth members who misbehave should be informed and asked for assistance in dealing with it.

The BSA does not permit the use of corporal punishment by unit leaders when disciplining youth members.

The unit committee should review repetitive or serious incidents of misbehavior in consultation with the parents of the child to determine a course of corrective action including possible revocation of the youth's membership in the unit.

If problem behavior persists, units may revoke a Scout's membership in that unit. When a unit revokes a Scout's membership, it should promptly notify the council of the action.

The unit should inform the Scout executive about all incidents that result in a physical injury or involve allegations of sexual misconduct by a youth member with another youth member

There is a lot of reading in them lines.

I do not think that the PLC should be involved.

The idea of them laying down consequences for wrongs and wrong doer's does not sit well with me.

I have always worked on the idea that a Lad in Scouts is there because he wants to be there. When he doesn't want to be there something isn't working. Scouts in my experience do a good job following a code of conduct if they see or think it is fair and they are treated fairly. They really don't like too see any type or form of favoritism.

I have always liked kids,I like to think that I care about them. I will admit that I am a real pain in the neck. If I see a Lad doing something really dumb, I will stop him. I don't care what Troop he is in, I don't like see kids getting hurt. If it is only a little bit dumb and no one is going to get hurt or no damage will be done I find myself wishing that I was a lot younger.

I don't think that a Scoutmaster has the right to suspend a Scout. That would need to come from the Committee. I spent a little over 11 years as a Scoutmaster and never had the need to go that far. Not that the Scouts that I knew were little angels, I think I had my fair share of "Tough Nuts". At the end of the day a lot comes down to the relationship you have with the Lad, if he knows that you are fair and care about him. He will know when he has not done his best. We can if need be help a group of Scouts see how they have done using reflections. But we should use them all the time not just when they are in hot water. Allow them the opportunity to see when they have done something that will make their heads swell.

I love the term "Site Beautification" However I don't think that it is right to do that to a Scout.

Reminding these Lads about fetching Wood and Water? Was this a reminder? Who did the reminding? Are you sure it wasn't seen as preaching or ordering?

The Merit Badge? Who was going to wear it? Earning Merit Badges is up to the individual. I can't help wondering if some Scouts might have thought that they were being nagged at?

The little fellow who was smarting off and back talking too the SM. I feel almost sure that I would have asked him to stop and informed him that he was annoying me. Sometimes telling the truth is the best thing to do.

I do agree that the "Rock The Pot", was a really dumb thing to do. However you dealt with it. I feel sure that these Lads are not going to make a habit of it. You made your point. It was a very dumb thing to do. Was there any real need to take it any further?

If the Lads do chose to leave the Troop, that is up to them.

I understand that the troop is very young, however I think that you are going overboard trying to supervise these Lads.

If reminders are needed they should come from the SPL to the PL. If they are too busy or too lazy to go and fetch Wood and Water, who are they hurting? You might want to think about stepping back a little. Allow them to mess up a little!! Then do a reflection with the patrol. You will still get the message across. They will take home the message that "We messed up" Not "SMT376 is mad at us"

Of course the rock the pot was really dumb, but I will admit that it made me smile - I'm sorry I couldn't help it.

Eamonn