STILL SEARCHING FOR GARRETT

I have been out searching for Garrett and will continue to do so on Monday (Labor Day). We are searching for a body, and an explanation of what happened . . . so that the family will have closure.

While it seems likely that Garrett became lost, there is no guarantee that is what happened. Until a body is found, there will always be questions. I am a long-time scouter who has held many positions at all levels. This incident has caused me great concern regarding how the BSA manages and approves back-country outings.

A tour permit is simply not enough. Leaders and scouts should be required to complete basic orienteering and survival training before venturing even one foot into the kind of terrain that Garrett and his troop faced in the High Uintas of Utah. With proper training, these types of adventures can be safe and rewarding. I do not want to discourage these types of outings . . . I just want to make them safer.

To give you some idea about the situation: I myself would not dare venture into this part of Utah without a GPS and very careful planning. The terrain is dynamic and extremely confusing. There are rocks, trees, and boulders of all sizes everywhere you look with many fallen trees. There is no way to navigate a straight line, even with a compass. Moving across this country requires frequent small turns every step of the way. Disorientation comes quickly.

After walking about 1/4 mile into this terrain, my mental assesment of the correct way back to my starting point was 40 degrees off what my GPS was telling me. I could hardly believe it. And, based on waypoints that I recorded on a contour map (using a standard compass and pacing), I was 10 degrees off what the GPS was telling me. Note: Yes, I am well trained in orienteering and land navigation. Don't be too quick to just my degree of error until you yourself have been out in this country.

In any case, either level of error could have been catastrophic if I did not have my GPS with me. Aggressive and effective action needs to be taken on the part of the BSA to ensure that leaders and scouts are properly trained. When I look at pictures of Garrett, I see every scout that I have ever worked with. Let's fix this situation and greatly minimize the chances that this could every happen again.

Thanks, Stephen Greenwalt

• 2 weeks later...

I admit that I dont know the area where the scout was lost, but was this area ever known for mining - even if on a very small scale?

There are areas in Pa that are absolutely dangerous due to abandoned mines - even cars have fallen into them when off roading on certain mountains. I'll bet that Pa is not alone with this problem. Many times abandoned shafts were poorly covered over -wood planks or nothing and then over time surrounded by vegetation.