Respect for peers in/out of uniform??

Great stories everyone - thanks for sharing. It's interesting and important to remember that invariably Scouting ties last lifetimes, if not generations!!

But, you've made me think along a different line . . .

Can we tell the same stories about ourselves in everyday working situations with our Scouting peers?? The reason I ask is that I know I would definitely react positively to an unknown Scout in uniform -- for all the same reasons discussed in the original thread. But, I might not automatically feel that same bond, or be so generous of spirit, with Unit peers or when reading posts in forums like ScouterInteractive, etc.

Now, I know I'm not the only one. But, I'm wondering if there are any thoughts (or cures) out there?

I know the old saying "Familiarity breeds contempt", but I'm hoping it's (I'm) not that simple.

john

Maybe it is that simple. Maybe familiarity does breed contempt. But let's not be that pessimistic...

(this post may be a bit confusing, but bear with me)

Seeing a friend or longtime acquaintance in a scout uniform does not produce the same FEELING of respect as seeing someone you do not know in a scout uniform. The experiences which we've shared with our longtime scouter friends have most definitely produced a solemn respect for each other. This respect has become regular as we see them on a more regular basis.

Perhaps the feelings of respect for those we do know are not the same feelings of respect we have for those we do not see simply because we've already come to realize the brotherhood and friendship of us and each of our scouter friends, and this respect is more of an understood idea (similar to how we all love our parents, siblings, or children but we do not necessarily feel an overwhelming sense of joy or pride every single time we see them).

When I see someone in a scout uniform whom I do not know, the feeling of respect is not completely a respect for the person himself, but rather more of a feeling of awe and respect for the scouting movement as a whole, as I realize such a phenomenon that I could just look at someone and respect them just because of the uniform they wear, and the ideals they therefore represent.

Another possibility

We all like to think the best of things, but when we know THROUGH FAMILIARITY that some of our scouter friends aren't all good and pure and steadfast to the scout oath and law (well, who really is perfect in this sense?), we would not respect them as much as we would respect someone we do not know, who would thereby be defined by the scout uniform he wears.(This message has been edited by 9muckraker7)

The unknown Scout or Scouter in uniform is just that unknown. I can look at his uniform and "Read It" I might respect the fact that he is wearing it, more so if everything is in order. I might be impressed by the uniform.

In some ways it is like looking at the cover of a Scouting Magazine. While there is a certain kindred spirit, I think it falls short of respect.

For me to really respect someone I have to know something about him or her. At times the outward signs can be misleading.

In our District we have a tiny little fellow, who is a real work horse. I know that if I want or need something he will not only do it but do it well. While I respect him for that, my respect is far greater knowing that he is 72 and looks after his mother.

I like all the Lads who will be attending the Jamboree, but there is one Lad who paid for it in full, when I spoke with his Mom, she informed me that he had saved the money from his paper route and from clearing snow. Nearly $1,000.00 is a heck of a lot of papers and snow!! We have families in the District where everyone is involved in the program, one has both parents and all four boys. I asked them if they needed help to pay for Wood Badge and they didn't accept.

I have a lot of really good friends in Scouting, they all have their failings, just as I have mine. Still I have found that the more we know about each other and the more we understand each other, the more we can respect each other.

Eamonn.