I've been turned down for an internship because I "have too much experience with the organization". Never mind that the position was to get the long-standing volunteers on board with a new approach. Never mind that the project they wanted done is one I've been wanting to see happen for years. Never mind I have the skill set and experience and training that exactly matches what they need to get the job done.

I'm so mad I could spit. I probably should't post this but.....arrrrrrrgh. Not really in the mood for keeping it in. Ticked off. Really really ticked off.

You do know how to make a girl blush :)

Seriously, thank you for the compliments - it does help, and I really don't wish them ill. I just tend to think this is a symptom of the problems I've seen with GS and our council in particular.

And thanks for patiently waiting for me to get that off my chest. I appreciate this group of people here tremendously :)

Peace,

Anne

Dyslexic fingers here.

AnneinMpls, Was there more to their response than what you posted? I too recognize those words as code for, "You're too old." Those aren't the only ones like it either. And I have heard similar lines. My response is to file it for later and get on with things. I directly address the situation by never doing this to another person when I am selecting candidates.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I've been told that people say things like this to avoid conflict. I believe that it actually compounds conflict... but perhaps postpones paying the piper (kind of like budget deficits). Still a deception, though. I guess if I was in your shoes, I would have asked directly, "Are you really trying to tell me I'm too old for this?" You wouldn't know if the answer was honest or not but if they said "yes" it wouldn't have left much doubt.

Is there any possibility that knowing the organization too well WOULD in some way have detracted from your ability to do the task? I guess if they didn't elaborate, oh well.

Oh man (or women, in your case), my Cub Scout pack severly needs "too much" experience. From what I can tell in my limited leadership experience, far too many packs/troops are lead by parents of roughly the same age who are long on leadership (defined here as the ability to demand that one's own ideas are the best) and short on experience.

Sorry to hear you got slammed. I once lost a graduate school full-ride assistantship because I was the wrong race and gender. It was real cold slap in the face of reality.

To be honest, I am amazed at the older Scouters in my district. They don't have kids in Scouting anymore. They don't fight for seniority or positon. They just do it because they love it, know it is the right thing to do, and enjoy seeing young people mature and learn. I can't honestly say I'll be that unselfish when I get that age.