Making an electronic 'matching' board?

I don't know what else to call it - I'm sure you've seen them at camps and nature centers, etc -

my son and i want to take the pics of all the plants we photographed on a recent hike, post them on a board with a list of plant names, and then the board is wired in the back to a light or bell. when you touch a wire to the plant photo and the other end to the name that matches the plant photo, the light or bell would go off.

I'm sure it's a very simple electrical connection - battery run, and i know I've seen them - but I have no idea where to find the instructions or materials(though I'm sure i could get the electrical stuff at Home Depot)

anybody ever make one of these? have instructions? seen one on the web? If anyone has any ideas or links that would help, please e-mail them to tlaurat7@hotmail.com

thanks

laura

It is really simple. Just remember you are trying to make a complete circuit.

Two wires run from the battery one to the bell/light and the other to be held and touched to the question post. The other wire from the light/bell will be touched on the answer post. Behind the board you will run a wire from the question to the correct answer post. This will complete the circuit when a person answers correctly.

I wish I could draw you a picture on the forum. I hope this is clear.

It is clear - except for one thing; how do you make it so there are multiple choices that DON'T complete the circuit?

if we have 6 plant photos and 6 names, I want the boys to be able to match only ONE 'correct' answer.

If I run a wire to all the photos off the negative end of the battery and wires off the positive end of the battery to all the names, than ANY combination of photo and name will complete the circuit, wouldn't it? Not just the RIGHT match?

I know this is simple, but for some reason my mind is drawing a blank here.

thanks for the help.

Laura

Run a "hot" wire from the positive side of the power source to each of the switches. Then another wire runs from the other pole of each switch to it's corresponding picture, and back to the negative side of the battery. The switch is what breaks the connection. This might be a good project for some "Electricity" MB candidate (req 11(a)).

You only run a wire to the correct answer from the question post.

While each answer has a post only the correct answers post has a wire to complete a circuit.

So for each question you would have to run the hidden wire from question to the right answer. When they answer the question right the circuit completes and the light lights up.

I tried to included a diagram by using the format but it didn't work so I made a picture. Then I made a website that is included in my service. Both arent very good but I hope they help.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ucjv/justforyoulaurat7

I reread my last post and I saw that it needs additonal information. But I could not edit it so I'm resubmiting with what I wanted to put in.

You only run a wire to the correct answer from the question post.These have no connection to the light or battery. The two wires that the scout holds in his hand are connected to the batery and the light. He touches one wire to the question's post and one wire to to what he thinks is the right answer's post .

While each answer has a post only the correct answers post has a wire to complete a circuit.

So for each question you would have to run the hidden wire from question to the right answer. When they answer the question right the circuit completes and the light lights up.

I tried to included a diagram by using the format but it didn't work so I made a picture. Then I made a website that is included in my service. Both arent very good but I hope they help.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ucjv/justforyoulaurat7

I got it!

that is great, it helped alot.

It was one of those "duh" moments - I knew it couldn't be that hard, but for some reason, the answer was just not coming.

So we've canibalized some parts form some broken electronic toys (the battery packs and wiring) and the light hook up from a flashlight we don't use anyway, (too big) and I have a ton of scrap electrical wire. I'm printing the photos and Jon is wiring the board. This should work GREAT for our plant identification for our first year scouts!

Thanks!

laura