Anyone have any details on the report in my sunday paper of a Scout falling apporx 2000 ft to his death in Utah? The story in my paper was just a few lines and no details of what happened. Would like to know what went wrong so as not to have it happen on one of our outings. My prayers go out to the Scouts parents, family and Troop.

Thanks lasteagle. This is sad indeed that this happened. I hope the Scouts and leaders are all doing well. Hopefully the investigation will be posted as well so we can use it as a learing opportunity. The story is ambiguous where they on a trail or climbing. If climbing why wasn't this lad belayed? If they were free climbing, from recent BSA climb on safely training this is not allowed. It will be interesting to read the results of the investigation. this would give this boys family some comfort. Sad indeed.

You could be hiking on trail and have this happen to you. A misstep on a soft spot on the side of a trail, a stumble or moments inattention can led to tragic results. I remember many times as tail end charley following a tired Scout that I had to urge him to walk straight and stop weaving. Trails dont have guardrails.

They could have been hiking on trail and just been sightseeing at an overlook.

Without more information we can only guess. But our prayers should go out to the boy's family and do the youths and adults on the outing and their families.