Boy Scout Policy on Religion/Faith/Reverence

I'm certainly not trolling for hard-edged complaints about Boy Scout policy here, but a lot of people I talk to are obviously confused about the Boy Scouts of America's position on religion/faith/reverence.

Can anyone point me to a web site that describes that postion in some detail?

During training from my council, it was specified that BSA is not limited to Christians or those who beleive in God. They said that the desire is to have Scouts have faith in some higher being or power.

I just want to have the story straight when discussing it with people.

Thanks!

Rather than a web site I would direct you to the the BSA adult membership application and the Boy Scout Handbook where it explains the Scout Oath and Scout Law. Specifically the explaination of "Duty to God" and "A Scout is Reverent".

That is truly everything you need to know about the position of the BSA.

The BSA Policy is called the "Declaration of Religious Principle" and is found on the inside cover of the adult leader application:

BSA DECLARATION

OF RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLE

Excerpted: from Adult Registration Application B.S.A. No. 28-501K.

The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but is absolutely non-sectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. The Boy Scouts of America's policy is that the home and the organization or group with which the member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life.

Only persons willing to subscribe to this Declaration of Religious Principle and to the Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America shall be entitled to certificates of leadership.