Beav,

You describe a scenerio I've seen play out in our Troop more than once, and it ticks me off. The older guys keep saying that the young Scout has to be responsible for his own advancment, and I agree. But when they try to approach an older Scout, they get the brush off, or are told they are interupting, or things like that. The young Scout was trying to do what he was taught, then given a sign that says "don't do it that way". I've even seen my son be one of the older guys, and it angered me then, too.

Keep encouraging your son to make his advancement happen. He sounds like he's doing well, even if he's had a road block thrown in his way.

To SPLT15,

You would be well advised to heed KS's advice. None of the rest of us is likely to phrase the answer as well as he has here. I know your system has a comfort level for you, but as KS says, there are reasons that an organization you respect has developed a method for handling advancement, and it works. This is one situation that might be avoided it you used their system.

Mark