Can I ignore the Commissioners?

"The Commissioner's Field Book has a section on How to Remove a Volunteer. But of course it's not that simple."

How about removing commissioners? Is there recourse for SM and parents when the UC and DC are hindering Scouting?

I have less of a problem with the bureaucrats at Council or a foundering DE than I do with the incompetence, ignorance, interference, and downright dishonsety of my UC, DC, CR/CC. They treat Scouts as their own award swapping and self-congratulation society. They also seem to take great pride in circumventing rules, procedures, and any other established practices. Apparently it makes them feel powerful to "get away with it." Despite being Eagle Scout, Wood Badge trained and annual BPU attendees these three seem to have little knowlege of and even less use for the Scout program.

I'm sorry. I'm venting. My CC/CR's indifference to BSA program and procedure, my UC's "poisoning the well" against myself, my son (the SPL and almost Eagle), and even my wife (den leader and former day camp director), and the DC's constant protection and promotion of the wh9ole mess is just getting to me after three years.

The District Commissioner is selected annually by the District Selection Committee and is approved by the Council Commissioner. He or she serves for a period of one-year at a time and then is either re-selected or replaced.

All Unit Commissioners, Assistant District Commissioners and Roundtable Commissoners are selected and approved on an annual basis by the District Commissioner.

I understand all that, thanks. And although I find the exchanges between you and FOG entertaining, I am one, at least, who appreciates your attention to detail.

My question, however, is how can I keep this ingrown, self-perpetuating group from interfering with my-- and presumably others-- programs. The SE and Council Commish have stood by while this clique has publically slandered and then "fired" entire committees much less individuals. I can't honestly see that knowing the selection process being helpful. Maybe I'm too close to this.

You probably can't do anything at all about other units. If your CO and the CR are not involved, then you lack the support needed. However, go directly to the District Commissioner, voice your concerns about how your unit is being effected, and ask for advice on how to work through this. The way you speak of the volunteers here may be reflected in how you speak to them now; that won't help you. Try to look beyond your personal feelings of them, identify what is hurting your unit--particulary in how you serve the youth--and then sit try going this route. If meeting with the District Commissioner does not help, then next go to your DE and try the same thing. My DE likes pizza and would gladly meet for lunch :) If that does not work, then go to the SE and repeat the process. I have found that when verbal communications don't work but it is an important issue, a letter will often help. I rarely need to go this route, but having needed to seek help in going "up the ladder" so to speak, I have found that once things are worked out and I show that I am willing to work as well as to complain, that I now have many letters of thanks to send. And do try to find something good to say; that is one of the best ways to "get someone's ear".

I would hope it would help explain where to go to for help. Since the DC selects the UC and you are having problems with both you have the choice of turning to the Council Commissioner who approves the DC or try to influence the decision of the selection committee. Your DE or District chair will tell you who is on the committee, it is not a secretive thing.

You can also look for ways to influence the actions of the UC. Remember they are volunteers like yourself, trying to do a job. It may just be they misunderstand that job, or how they can be of service to the unit you serve.

One thing that would help the forum members help you more is an example of the problems you are facing. If you do not wish to share that publicly you could private message posters whose opinions you trust. I am sure they will keep you concerns confidential.

Bob White

PS

I really hope you are not enjoying exchanges between me the other poster you mentioned. I for one have not written to him or in reference to him, or even read his posts, for quite some time. So any interaction is quite one-sided I assure you.

If you are saying that they have "fired" unit committees, then there is something very wrong! If they as a group have "fired" district or council committees you might want to go back and look at the details of how those committees were run, or how effective they were.

Your CC and CR should have a different relationship with the unit than the UC or DC. Unless of course the UC and DC are also Comm. Members. You are lashing out in many directions, to and inclulding your own committee.

Sounds like it's time to slow down and take stock of the operation.

Eek--my typos! I hope my message is clear.

My words are a mess: "Try to look beyond your personal feelings of them, identify what is hurting your unit--particulary in how you serve the youth--and then sit try going this route."

I meant sit down and discuss them (the issues/concerns), after you identify them. In doing that, personal feelings of the volunteers involved need to be put aside and issues focused on.

"Can I ignore the Commissioners?"

Yes of course you can.

The next question that comes to my mind is:Why?

I have in the past year had a phone call from a charter Rep. Who informed me that if the guy who was their new Unit Commissioner as much as came near them that they would do him bodily harm and not recharter. I spent over an hour on the phone trying to calm this poor charter rep. Down. Then less then a minute telling the District Commissioner that this Unit Commissioner was done. The District Commish. Argued that he could control this guy. I said that it was clear that he just didn't get it and that we had no use for Commissioner's that needed to be controlled. He is no longer on the Commissioner Staff.

We need to take a look at how this game is played. Your unit is owned by the group that holds the charter. They enter into an agreement to use the program of the Boy Scouts of America.

The Executive Officer may be a very busy chap, too busy to get involved with the day to day running of a youth group. He does agree to provide a meeting place and a few other things to the Scout unit. He in most cases will select a person to be the middle man that goes between the Scout Unit and the charter organization. He will report to the charter organization what is happening in the Scout unit and keep the Scout Unit up to speed about what is happening with the charter organization. If you have a problem with him. This is something that needs to be taken up with the Charter Organization.

As the Scout unit is owned by the Chartered Organization, this body selects the leadership.This includes the committee.

Unless there has been some serious violation of Scout policy, the "Hiring and Firing" of adults at the unit level is in the hands of this chartered Organization.

It could happen that a Leader is doing such a terrible job of leading that a Unit Commissioner might bring this to the attention of the Chartered Organization and they might want to take some sort of action. However this would be up to them.

The Committee Chair is selected by the Chartered organization, and in some units is elected by the other members of the committee. This has nothing to do with the Commissioner Staff, the District or the Council.

Sad to have to say it, but if you are having a problem with the Chartered Rep.and The Committee Chair. You are having a problem with the people who selected you to be the leader. Did they make the wrong choice?

If you are having a problem with your Unit Commissioner and the District Commissioner, these are the people who are trying to be your friends. They are only there to help and support you. You can turn your back on them and there is nothing that they can do about it. You don't work for them - you work for the chartered organization - The one that you are having a problem with?

If I were in your situation I would want all the d friends and all the support that I could get. Bob White has laid out who you might turn to in order to get things on a better footing. But maybe just maybe a long look in the mirror is a good place to start, as you read the Scout Oath and Law.

Eamonn