Many Small Troops vs. One Big Troop

I would never assume a boy led troop cannot be organized. Personally I would prefer a little disorganization and lots of happy, learning Scouts to perfect formations and bored chair fillers!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to suggest that you can only have one or the other.

Why can't scouts and parents come to the meeting and see fun, learning, AND organization? Nothing in the program is designed to prohibit any of thoese elements.

To use my favorite example, sports, would you like to see a disorganized baseball league or team? Would you think that it was fun if the coach was making up the field assignments on the fly or no one had remembered to bring the water cooler?

Organization can enhance the learning and fun. If the SPL says, "Line up" and the Scouts scamper to fall in, the games can begin that much more quickly. If the Scouts aren't chattering, the rules and objectives of the game can be explained.

Disorganized meetings are not fun meetings. Well, maybe every now then they are but usually when you have a disorganized meeting, the Scouts leave muttering about "not doing anything."

I think we're splitting hairs here.

In my experience in the two troops I'm currently serving, if it's disorganized, it won't be fun. It can, however, be organized and boring - then it still won't be fun. "Fun" is a valid measure of merit. Also brings in attitude of the leaders, etc.

My older son is in a VERY large troop - about 110. When it's disorganized, nobody involved has any fun because the level of chaos grows quickly out of control. We're making progress on improving, but a year ago it wasn't unusual for my son to come home after a meeting saying he had just wasted his evening. (We've actually considered splitting this troop into two, but our CO will not allow us to.)

My younger son is in a troop of about 30. It can actually tolerate a bit more disorganization because it's easier for leaders (scout) to keep it under control and still have some fun. This son has never come home thinking he had wasted his time.

"We've actually considered splitting this troop into two, but our CO will not allow us to."

Have you thought of making two "virtual troops"? An "A" troop and a "B" troop? Each could meet on different nights and have an ASM acting as SM for each virtual troop. There'd still only be one chartered unit.

FOG,

We think alike (scary!).

What we've actually done is addressed the fact that SPL can't personally oversee such a large troop with 9 patrols, so we've divided the troop into 3 "Flights." Each Flight consists of 3 patrols who report to an ASPL. Our 3 ASPLs report to SPL. Each flight has an Asst SM assigned to oversee, assist, coach, etc. We're all meeting together right now, but working to get the Flights working more and more independently. I still don't know if this path could lead to creation of 3 really separate entities, but we're going to work in that direction for now.

Fat Old Guy

I personaaly like a bigger unit of around 30 to 40 boys. Allows the boys more laedership opprtunities. If properly managed, a larger unit can offer more opportunities for the scouts.

With that being said one has to be careful when combining troops, people have their own ideas on what scouting is all about and this can lead to frustation. Picture joining your troop with Bob White's. I would recommend proper training for all leaders.

green SM

I agree with you in that some disorganization isn't the worse thing that could happen to a troop. Our troop continues to strive to be 100%boy led and with that one would expect some disorganization. I see the fun in our boys when allowed to lead the troop. Some troops that claim to be 100% boy run and never have problems are probably more adult run then they would allow you to believe.