Multiple Registrations

I believe that it is the Top Leader (SM or CM), as listed on the Charter that cannot also be registered as a Commissioner. I dont know if the Crew Advisor also fits this designation.

I am also registered in Unit and District positions. Scheduling does sometimes become difficult, but so far, Im able to make it work. Many of our people wear multiple hats, it just nature of the beast. The reality of the situation is that we need more adult volunteers.

I'm registered as Cubmaster, and that's my primary registration and the one I am uniformed and fully trained for.

I am also registered as a committee member in a troop. I have fast-start training in this role, but that's it to date.

Additionally, I have served on the district day camp staff but was not registered as a district volunteer. I've been asked to serve on a council committee. Are additional registrations needed for those roles?

Bob,

I'm fully aware of what it states on the official Commissioneer's web site. I was also not debating right/wrong. My only observance was that "must not be" is not the same as "cannot" because I can state many instances of unit leaders (CM, SM, etc.) being registered commissioners. Therefore, they can! Does that make it right? Not in the eyes of the BSA.

I'm also aware of conflicts of interest that can arise when a unit leader acts as a commissioner, specifically a unit commissioner. However, there should also be a ratio of one unit commissioner for every three units tops. If a district can only recruit five unit commissioners for 45 units what is worse, violating the "no more than three units per commissioner" rule, having units with no assigned UC, or accept willing unit leaders to be unit commissioners? None are desirable if better alternative exist. Practicality does come into play sometimes.

For others, I think I can safely say that BW did NOT mean to use the qualifier "for your own unit." One may (in the eyes of the BSA) be a UC for your own unit if you are not a unit leader (i.e. you may be UC and SA or UC and MC). Many feel this is the "fox watching the hen house" and don't think it is a good idea but it is not disallowed.

P.S. I also noticed we are all now "starless." Was this intentional or is the rating system under contruction?(This message has been edited by acco40)

Acco40,

Once again I thank you for trying to clarify what you thought I was saying, but once again it was unnecessary. It was not I who wrote "in his own unit" it was another poster who was referring to me.

I would have written that a Scouter should not be a unit commissioner for the unit they belong to. A practice that I have never seen work effectively. You cannot be objective about the strengths and weaknesses of a unit if you are part of the unit program and politics.

It is very easy to ignore any of the rules of the program by saying "Yes, in know that is what you are supposed to do , but....." There are no buts. You make the decision to follow the program or not to. If you choose not to, don't complain that the program is broken, because after all, you have chosen to be one the people to break it.

This is a 'program'. It has designated, specific, elements all made to coordinate together for ultimate efectiveness. The only thing that stops any leader, in any position, from following the program is their personal decision to do it or not.

Ed, I asked this question of our DE and UC when filling out the charter renewal, and I was told by both that this meant the SM or CM. Since it required a signature by "unit leader", I wanted to ensure we had the correct signature. What I don't know is if there is a reference in the books to this effect; if so, I missed it.