Normally I don't indulge people with personal details outside my immediate family, and like a lot of guys, I probably don't tell my immediate family things that I should tell them. After debating with myself I decided to post this information in the hope and expectation that I may prod some fellow scouters to do the smart thing for themselves if they are not already doing so.

In December I was diagnosed with a very early stage Prostate cancer. Caught early enough, as in my case, this is a highly treatable disease, and I can expect to live a normal life expectancy beyond this. The key is making sure your doctor is adding the PSA blood screen to his lab orders when he does his annual bloodwork. All you scouters out there over age 42 are suppposed to be supplying an annual Class III form. If it weren't for this requirement I probably would not have been getting an annual physical all these past several years. My doctor automatically included the PSA screen in his lab orders without even consulting me. As a result, I have several years of measurement history, and an early diagnosis.

This cancer can strike any male at any age. It is slow to develop and most of us think of it as an old man's disease. But it can strike well before you are 60. About 25% of American males will be diagnosed with this during their lifetimes. So all you 42+ males out there, make sure your doctor is including the PSA blood test in your annual lab work. Cheap, easy, and potential life saver. Get smart.

Eisely;

Thank God you caught it early. Military docs start digitals on us after our 35th birthday. (For the uninitiated, by digital, I mean a finger, not some electronic doo-dad). I've gotten the PSA the last two times. What the docs told me is that the PSA is a good test, although it tends to have a high false-positive rate for caucasian men under 50 (that's me, for a few more years anyway). My response was: "Got it; lemme do the PSA, and if it comes back positive, I'll willingly, though not enthusiastically, suffer through the digital (but please take off your Air Force Academy ring first, this time)".

An ounce of prevention's worth a pound of cure -- new meaning to that one...

So glad you caught it, my friend, as I know your family is too.

KS

Eisley,

Thanks for posting this important information. I'm glad you have such a caring Doctor and this was caught early.

Another thing men should know is that they need to keep track of their PSA numbers themselves. Don't just rely on the Dr. Ask what your number is and record it somewhere. It is important to know that a significant increase in your PSA, even if the numbers are still in the normal range, may be an indication of a problem. So get the actual numbers, not just a "it's in the normal range."

I was at the Doc's a week or so back. He gave me the slip to take to the local hospital for the blood work. The test you refer to is on the list. Sad thing is that I have to not eat for 10 hours before they can do it.

Ten hours!!

Still thanks to your post I will not eat tonight and drag myself to the hospital and then pig out on the way home.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Eamonn