Looking ahead--adding new items to existing program

We made quality unit this past year, and it did not come easily, but it was all due to following the program materials--training, adding summer events/meetings, the basics really. Most of our leaders are now fairly new, but all are excited though just a little tired as change didn't come easy and not without some mighty big challenges.

Now, looking ahead, here's some of what we'd like to do to increase the program in the pack:

* Raingutter regatta. Our thinking is to use some of our fundraising money to purchase 2 kits per Cub, asking each Cub to build his own boat plus ask a friend to build a boat for the day. We would provide at least one workshop day/evening for those in need of tools/assistance they might not have at home. This would double as a fun summer activity and recruiting tool.

* Brochures. We want to recruit, and we're in the process of planning out next year's program already. Though we love the BSA brochures, we were thinking that something designed using information and photos directly related to our unit would be better received. We have releases for parents/guardians to sign, and we have a couple of committee members who have great ideas to put on paper.

* Camping. We have already gone from 0 camping trips to 1 camping trip last year. That was such a hit, that we have 2 trips planned this year. Both are in the summer, 1 in council, 1 out of council.

* Council/district events. We had not taken part in council or district events before (not sure why). However, we have some super opportunities. One is the Valley Forge Pilgrimage this weekend; we're going. Another is the Camporee for the Boy Scouts; though the troop from our CO does not go, the Webelos expressed interest and I've a contact who will give the Webelos a tour of the Camporee. Council camp offers some fun day-long activities; we've signed up for all of them. Additionally, we are taking part in council-run fundraising activities, and we have 2 leaders on day camp staff for the district.

Does anyone see any problems above? If you see something that you think could/should be done differently, please say so. We planned out our activities this way: 1 pack meeting per month, 2-4 den meetings per month (a den meeting may be replaced with a field trip any time), 1 family outing or workshop per month. In summer the pack meetings are replaced with outdoor activities and the den meetings cut back significantly, so basically the focus is just switched to the outdoors.

I'm the new Cubmaster, and program is what I like best. The boys in the pack say they are enjoying their den and pack meetings, like being acknowledged for advancements in the den and pack meetings, and have expressed some "wants" of their own (all addressed in the above items). It's just nice to know more experienced Scouters who can provide feedback for some of this. Our CR is supportive of all that is planned as is our UC. The DE has been happy to see us activitely fundraising and participating in district events and roundtables. We seem to be healthy, but I know I'm not objective when it comes to something I'm involved in. Feedback welcomed--TIA!

Boy! makes me want to be a cub scout again. Great program.

When I was the District Membership Chair, your program is basically what I trained pack leaders to build. I complement you on awards recognition at den meetings. We started doing that and found the cubs and parents really liked it. I like the campouts too, you might consider doing a campfire at a nearby park in the spring or fall for a Pack meeting. A change of atmosphere is always fun and you can roast marsh mellows after the meeting for smores.

Oh, I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Thanks Barry :) Cubs is a blast! Though our younger son will bridge at this time next year, my husband suggested that I stay involved with the pack for 2-3 years longer to help with the transition. What a man! So, if the pack will have me, it looks like I've a good bit of time left with it.

We do have a fire every October. Our previous CM started this, and it's a super idea. This year, I asked if we could add a Bobcat ceremony to the fire time, so we did. The boys loved that so much that we are having our graduation around a fire as well. Our CO has a lot of land out back with a small wood, and the troop built a fire circle that we're welcome to use any time.

Our calendar is pretty full: roundup w/presentation of summertime awards in Sept; campfire pack meeting in Oct; Scouting For Food/Thanksgiving themed pack meeting in Nov; making gifts and going Christmas caroling and holding a pack meeting with the seniors at a local senior citizen community in December; Pinewood derby workshop & race in January; Blue and Gold workshop & banquet w/bridging in February. We've also gone to council camp for Halloween Adventure, sold popcorn (first time in awhile), held 2 carwashes, attended a pro basketball game, had several sports events of our own, had one Webelos overnighter and three Webelos hikes, gone swimming with the troop, and had various den field trips. It really has been fun so far. We haven't heard "I'm bored" for quite awhile :)

This is my first year as CM also. Our pack's calendar looks similar. Some possible other events to consider that we included:

- two family swim nights at the Council aquatic center, two family ice skating afternoons at the town's rink, two nature hikes for the pack - one at a county nature center, the other in town on "Jamboree on the Trail" Ssaturday, two service projects for the elementary school that lets us use it's gym for meetings (home of our CO - the PTA), one Earth Day clean up project at a county park, marching in two town parades (Memorial Day and St. Patrick's Day). For some reason, the town cancelled the Columbus Day's parade.

We also upped the camping trips to two, both in council in the spring. I am thinking of making it three next year - during the summer, the Pack attends a minor league baseball game - the team is thinking of allowing Scouts to camp in the outfield.

We also have an International Night pot luck Welcome dinner at the first Pack Night in September.

Two den ad hoc events expanded into Pack events this year - a back stage tour of Yankee Stadium and a trip to West Point. Next year, we will try and schedule the trip to West Point during football season. West Point welcomes Scouts at one of it's early home games.

Good luck. And I am going to try and work in a campfire event into next year's calendar.

Sign me up with Barry!!

Cub Scouting is great FUN - Thanks to the efforts that You and so many other great leaders put in.

It sounds as if you really have it together.

When I was Cubmaster we held an annual picnic. It was easy as I have an enormous back yard. It was just a round robin with the boys moving from station to station. I made sure that I kept myself free in order to "Work On The Parents" Recruiting them for the pack committee or as a Den Leader. It was hard for them to say no when they were looking at their son having so much fun.

Please don't tell anyone but to this day I enjoy Cub Scout round table more then the Boy Scout one!! I think Cub Scouters are great.

Eamonn

One of the things I figured out is that when you factor in unit, district and council events, there is some outing Scouts can attend almost every month. I don't know why the program people don't promote the events as such. It seem like we get a steady stream of flyers about various activities, but I think unit leaders -- especially new one -- could take a lot of comfort in the fact that there are lot of activities out there that don't require a lot of work from the unit.

The only thing I would suggest to you, Laurie, it to move or add camping trips to the spring or fall. In our unit, our summertime activities are very sparsely attended. In our area, (and I think you're in the southeast too, right?) the weather in April and October is much nicer for outdoor activities.

We've found that campouts close to home are much better received than those an hour or two away, even if the more distant locations have better facilities. We've got a place about 20 minutes from our CO where we camp and will have 130 folks over the course of a weekend. Being nearby allows families to juggle schedules and still attend at least part of the campout. It also allows the families who don't care to camp overnight to come and enjoy dinner and the campfire program.

Marty, your pack sounds like a lot of fun!

Eamonn, I won't give away your secret :)

Twocubdad, I like the idea of moving the camping date to spring or fall, but we actually have a reason for summer: it's the only family camping program offered by council. We aren't quite organized enough yet to do our own, though I think we can next year. I'm going to pose your idea of camping close to home to the den leaders--at least one trip can be moved. We are allowed to use our CO, which has a huge big open area bordered by a small wood--and a train track (the only drawback is the train noise). You've made an excellent point about families who can't stay, and we have a small pack but several families who just can't be part of camping. Thanks for the idea!

Laurie your program looks brilliant. My prejudice against Cubs is based on my fear of them only.

I might add to your set only one thing and that may not be useful as you do things differently to us.

Add one activity with Boy Scouts every quarter and another with the Section down. (Bears or something I think).

This shows the Cub what is in stall and whetts their apetite. In the US you should probably change the Troop that you coopt into linking with so the Cubs get to see the options post pack.

Linking with those younger advertises your pack and gives your boys a leadership opportunity. Your boys could lead/teach something.

These ideas are not always an entire pack thing. Maybe just your cubs in leadership positions or selected Cubs who can be trusted/tested with responsibility.

We do this and it keeps the progression through Scouting happening. Becomeing a Scout is not scary around here.

Hope that helps